Weapons Training Risk Assesment

Hi Folks

Just wondering if anyone has a Risk Assessment for conducting Weapons Training?

You shouldn’t need one of its in accordance with the safe system of training AFAIK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

actually i disagree JM

if using the SMS Shooting application correctly it indicates in the “authorisation” tab by “ticking” the box the approriate H&S paperwork is complete namely:

[quote]
…confirm that a Parent’s Consent Form and Certificate of Health will be obtained for every cadet taking part before the activity. A comprehensive briefing on emergency procedures will be given to all persons involved prior to the exercise by the adult IC. PAMC21-C will be studied and, where appropriate, acted upon. An endorsed Risk Assessment is attached by the relevant personnel.[/quote]

anyone who knows me will be aware how much i am against the use of TG forms, personally for those units who have the ability ot shoot on range this seems a unworkable requirement as it now in effect requires TG forms to attend a Squadron parade night

but anyway…my bold indicates an RA is required

The application is wrong, then. (Already risk-assessed) syllabus activities conducted on (already risk-assessed) unit premises don’t require a separate RA, for exactly the reason you give - that otherwise you’d need a RA for every parade night.

Just don’t do one, and see what happens.

Time for my favourite saying - ‘What’s the worst they can do? Terminate your commission…’

[quote=“steve679” post=22399]actually i disagree JM

if using the SMS Shooting application correctly it indicates in the “authorisation” tab by “ticking” the box the approriate H&S paperwork is complete namely:

[quote]
…confirm that a Parent’s Consent Form and Certificate of Health will be obtained for every cadet taking part before the activity. A comprehensive briefing on emergency procedures will be given to all persons involved prior to the exercise by the adult IC. PAMC21-C will be studied and, where appropriate, acted upon. An endorsed Risk Assessment is attached by the relevant personnel.[/quote]

anyone who knows me will be aware how much i am against the use of TG forms, personally for those units who have the ability ot shoot on range this seems a unworkable requirement as it now in effect requires TG forms to attend a Squadron parade night

but anyway…my bold indicates an RA is required[/quote]

I would argue that the loosely-worded “certificate of health” in the above means we can take it as being their 3822a or 3822.

[quote=“pEp” post=22404]
I would argue that the loosely-worded “certificate of health” in the above means we can take it as being their 3822a or 3822.[/quote]

personally i severely hope so!

i have had a selection of “heated discussions” with my Adj about this subject and maintain F3822contains as much information in the TG forms as I would ever hope for as required for me being “in loco parentis” for daily (ie not overnight) activities, particularly those conducted under the banner of shooting

Quick note - you aren’t “in loco parentis”.

This is a bit off topic now though. Doesn’t one of the PAMs or ACPs contain a RA for weapons training though?

I take it you have not read the TG21 recently. Revision 1.09 took out the wording relating to ‘loco parentis’…

either way…as “responsible adults” (in loco parentis or otherwise)/CFAVs responsible for Cadets what does a TG form tell us that can’t be found in the F3822?

In theory, current detailed medical information.

In theory, current detailed medical information.[/quote]

which should be updated in the F3822…what is the point listed known allergies and health issues in there if it isnt kept up to date?

if a new medical condition that is that severe would it not make sense to inform the Squadron?
Parents will readily tell the school that Johnny is now suffering from X, Y or Z but somehow fail to tell us…

and i refer back to the above…what is so severe that needs a separate form to document a condition which in a training environment is not relevant?

we are wildly off topic now

This article:

http://www.brainboxx.co.uk/a3_aspects/pages/ethical_issues.htm

suggests that the concept of ‘in loco parentis’ is meaningless as Duty of Care has superseded it.

[quote=“dambusters” post=22391]Hi Folks

Just wondering if anyone has a Risk Assessment for conducting Weapons Training?[/quote]

As long as the training is conducted in accordance with the relevant weapons pamphlet then a separate risk assessment isn’t required. It is all part of the Cadet Safe System of Training.