VR(T) Commission Change

Grp Cpt Middleton. Or am I getting acronyms mixed up?

cost implicationsā€¦ Just been looking at purchasing rank slides to look professional (or as close as I can to it)

Myself and Wife are both VR(T)

We need to purchase our own MTP Rank Slides at Ā£4.50 per pair

Cadet Direct donā€™t do the GPJ Slides, but Combatlogos does. They sell at Ā£7.80 per pair. And yes, I know they arenā€™t the ā€œofficial supplierā€.

Thatā€™s not including the P&P from those companies.

Unfortunately we canā€™t share, as we both parade on the same nights.

There goes your credibility on here.

3 Likes

As I said this was 13 odd years ago so I canā€™t speak to what heā€™s like now, being newish back after quite some time away from RAFAC Iā€™ve missed most of the issues shrouding gliding. But back then I liked him and felt he was extremely helpful. But anyway, moving a little off topic now.

Thereā€™s a legendary thread on PPRUNE forum about him in the RAF. Iā€™ve known him since he became RC(N) and throughout. Sadly met him on numerous occaisions.

4 Likes

Yeah. One of my last events as a cadet was the handover ceremony when he became RC (I think 2004). Before that he came into my school every few months to help with my RAF application. (which would have succeeded if not for a phantom return of asthma for one day, never to be repeated since, on the last day of OASC). Different contexts I guess, school VS mess. I know others who are completely different people in different circumstances.

I should warn you that despite your feelings towards OC 2FTS, it isnā€™t advisable to post them openly on the forum like this (And technically is against the AUP). Itā€™s also off topic so Iā€™ve removed them.

Have you considered divorce? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But theyā€™d still have to fight for custody/visitation of the rank slides. And who would pay the rank slide support each month?

2 Likes

hahaā€¦

ā€¦no, new rank slides would be far cheaper!

1 Like

Jesus wept. NCO Aircrewā€¦ Why oh why?..

This definitely devalues the regular RAF NCA trade group who have to spend considerably more time undertaking a considerably more intensive course of training before they win the right to wear the eagles.

Thereā€™s going to be an awful lot of VGS types with egos the size of Argentina.

3 Likes

They wear a flying suit now which is a uniform

An awful lot more

1 Like

A good point well made, thankfully he canā€™t touch me. I have too much evidence on him an a safety deposit box and he knows it. x

7 Likes

Yet the ground NCOs that have done considerably more intense courses and years of service arenā€™t devalued by ATC SNCOs gaining Sgt after an interview and a weeks course?

How odd!

That goes without saying but to further devalue the rank and trade?..

1 Like

Most ground Sergeants would feel that SNCO Aircrew demean their rank so much that having an ATC variety wouldnā€™t make a jot of difference.

2 Likes

Point taken but at least the NCA trade group have to seriously work towards qualifying, so they are a plethora of brownie points ahead of the ACO\RAFAC\Whatever we have to call ourselves if\when possible legal action may cause a reversion to the status quo.

Back in the day, it was oft quoted that young, 22yr old ATC WOā€™s were climbing out of their collective boxes in the Sgts Mess and ruffling a few feathers. I would wager that there was an element of truth in the stories.

Now, I can imagine 20-21yr old VGS Sgtā€¦Aircrewā€¦ posing around the Mess wearing their ā€¦aircrewā€¦ eagles and the associated behaviour which could quite quickly disperse any goodwill that regulars might feel towards our august organisation, further diluting our relationship with the (former) parent service.

I personally feel that the dispensation to wear such hard-earned insignia, was a very well thought out move on behalf of the esteemed leadership. Whatever next? Regiment mudguards for JLā€™s? Removing adult staff from the RAFVR(T)?

1 Like

And, Dear God, I sincerely hope that Staff Cadet G2ā€™s\1ā€™s on VGSā€™s arenā€™t granted the same (or cadet-equivalent) insigniaā€¦

1 Like

Probably should get rid of all ranks Sgt through to Wg Cdr then in case they do something silly in a mess somewhere as theyā€™re all equally earnt/unearnt

2 Likes