USA fun in the sun

We have a cadet out in the good ol’ U S of A. Photos had been coming back but we’ve now had a cease and desist email from on high about posting on social media (blanket email not just us).

Has it gone wrong already?!

Nope, all good over here.

It was meant to have been made clear to the cadets from the start that no photos were to be posted on SM and they should have passed this message onto Squadrons.

Frustrating and i dont necessarily agree with it, but thats what we’ve been told from up high

3 Likes

Why are airshows and fun suddenly not something we do?

Persec until they’re back?

Against what threat that would be bigger than in the UK?

Why on earth would a visit + cadet(s) + USA attract a social media blackout?

What is the sensitivity? Is there a specific date announcement with planned publicity for return? Have the fun detectors sparked up?

I assume it’s American security reasons more than anything, rather than RAFAC enforced blackout.

Well, I’m guessing it is the 2024 version of this trip. Many of the stated activities were (are?) at public venues, so I fail to see what security reasons could be raised.

I’ve been lead to believe it’s more of a perception issue around the corps, LaSER already has a bad rep around the corps for being the region that gets all the money etc and so in this CACE era of value for money it was decided they didn’t want to be advertising this big expensive event too much.

Admitedly, the cadets and staff all pay a lot of money personally to attend the event, and I’m not aware of how much public money supports it.

1 Like

Given the cost, I’m fairly sure there is very little public money spent on it.

To avoid Security or Scrutiny that is the question?

What happens on Tour stays on Tour!

Go off grid and it’s all history upon return and ultimately the Staff and Cadet had a great time!

All over seas camps have to be self funded so shouldn’t be any public money spent on it

If it’s all above board (& by the level of personal contributions it seems likely the public funding was very limted or zero), then there should be no need for restrictions on social media. Publish away.

I could understand “We want to make a huge media contribution when we get back, so please hold off on adding stuff to SM” but “cease & desist” is a stupid thing to do - “Cadet Bloggs, we might punish you for posting about something that you paid for” - how on earth is that feasible?

2 Likes