University Air Squadrons Uniforms

All members of the university air squadron members are given the rank of Officer Cadet. Officer Cadets in the RAF wear the officers cap and cap badge with white tabs. However in the pictures I’ve seen the members of the UAS wear airmens caps and cap badges. But they’re officer cadets…why no officers cap?

Ey up.

I believe the main reason UAS students wear the airmens cap badge is to differentiate us from IOT students, who (as you rightly say) wear the officers badge with a white disk. Similarly, we wear the airmens cap whereas they wear the officers hat, both with the white band.

The dress regs state UAS personnel are to wear the white disk behind the cap badge at all times, but somehow this often falls on deaf ears. People tend to think they look a bit silly, which they do.

If you’re lucky enough to become an APO in the UAS, you lose all the white stuff and it’s only the VR pins which differentiate you from a regular officer.

Hope that answers your query!

UAS Officer Cadets are airmen, enlisted into the RAFVR. They wear airmen’s uniform (as in No1s) with a white band around the hat. Whether a white disk can be worn behinf the No1 Cap depends on whether they’ve been issued with cloth RAF cap badges and/or hat with cap badge holes! A white disk behind the berret badge is obviously allways possible.
Welbeck Officer Cadets are cadets. They are not enlisted. They wear an airman’s uniform (without eagles and without white bits).
IOT Officer Cadets are airmen, enlisted into the RAF. They wear an officer’s uniform with white bits.
IOT Student Officers are officers, commissioned into the RAF. They wear an officer’s uniform with white bits and the rank they will graduate in on the sleeve of their No1/No5 Dress. In theory they should be saluted (except where local orders dictate - ie, at Cranwell), but usually aren’t because no-one can tell the difference between an Officer Cadet and a Student Officer.
ACO Officer Cadets don’t really exist. They are officers, commissioned into the RAFVR(T). They wear an officer’s uniform with white bits. They should be saluted.

Simples. :blink:

ACO Officers Only wear white bands at Cranwell tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote=“wonkyprop” post=21381]
ACO Officer Cadets don’t really exist. They are officers, commissioned into the RAFVR(T). They wear an officer’s uniform with white bits. They should be saluted.

Simples. :blink:[/quote]

Not in W & W region, the king pin has mandates the O Cdts must not be saluted.

Which would of course be something he has absolutely no authority to mandate…

W&W making stuff up again? Who woulda thunk it? :stuck_out_tongue:

That said, I train my cadets according to the regs, as I’m sure you do. :wink:

Well, seduce my ancient footwear! Another VR(T) bod thinking he’s the centre of the universe and making up his own rules?

Surely never!

Well, seduce my ancient footwear! Another VR(T) bod thinking he’s the centre of the universe and making up his own rules?

Surely never![/quote]

Well, I’m a VR(T) Bod, and I fancy making up a rule that says we don’t salute him? Isn’t that the same thing?

RAFR?

Sorry. :oops: I thought Silverback was on about the WingCo not the RC!