Uniforms

I have a random question about uniforms. I am joining Air Cadets in September. How many uniforms are there (as in are there just Blues or MTP as well) and do they cost?

Blues uniform will be issued for free. However, you will need to buy your own black shoes - a good quality second hand pair might be a starting point.

Normally, DPM (the old greens uniform) is issued for free - although at some stage in the (unknown) future, there won’t be any supplied DPM. Replacement options also unknown? You will need to source your own boots.

If you want to buy MTP, that will be your choice. Again, second hand, or military surplus outlets are possibilities.

I would plan for having to buy combat uniform.

We have not issued DPM for 5-6 years due to not having any more supply. There are a few Squadrons in our Wing that still issue it to recruits as a short term loan.

Some squadrons are able to issue ‘greens’ (MTP or DPM) for free, so I would wait until you’ve started before you make any purchases!

Squadrons may wait at least a few weeks before they issue you with any uniform in case you decide air cadets isn’t for you, so there probably isn’t any rush.

2 Likes

Thank you. At least now I know what to expect in September!

That is quite common. Also the Squadron should explain what you need to buy and by when.

2 Likes