Uniformed Cadet Organisations not affiliated to the Armed Forces

There are a number of emerging organisations that wear a uniform strikingly similar to the official cadet organisations and whose staff are appointed with the same titles. Some also wear the official commissioned officers cap badges. I can imagine this causes awkward situations for cadets. Do I salute or not etc?
Is this stretching legality given the current clampdown on people illegally wearing medals?

For example?

Such as? A new one on me; examples please.

Are you sure that the people you refer to are wearing medals as you put it ‘illegally’? Are they medals issued by the organisation, an example is the ‘Medal of Merit’ issued by the Scout Association to its members.

These guys, for example.

http://www.kmcf.co.uk/

http://navytrainingcorps.co.uk/

http://www.navalcadetcorps.com/

http://www.ntc.org.uk/ntc/pages/

Not sure what the medals issue would be;
Either they are wearing medals that they’re entitled to (former service, etc) in which case I can’t see an issue
They’re wearing non-official medals, in which case they can do what they want.
The only way it would be an issue is if they are wearing official medals to which they are not entitled.

1 Like

Hmm. On further examination I have found that basically anyone can dress up as they want so long as they are not wearing medals. But that begs the question that we tell cadets that they are saluting the badge, not the person, so therefore , they would salute people without a commission. Case closed then.

Do you tell them to salute any old badge?

That’s not strictly true, The Uniform Act of 1894 still applies which says it’s an offence to wear a military uniform without permission.

• Date and Location
  • wore without HM permission
  • military uniform / military dress bearing regimental or distinctive marks

CJS code UN94001

Max ÂŁ1,000 fine at a Magistrates Court.

Oh well that’s nearly every security guard, builder, gardener, fancy dressers and similar up before the beak.

With the advent of market stall surplus enforcing this would be a waste of money and could keep magistrates going for years.

Don’t talk stupid. Military uniform, which are quite specific. Not “military-like” and there’s a provision for theatre/stage type events in a different act (avoiding the intent to deceive element).

Face facts at one time military uniform was special and now it isn’t. You can acquire all of the bona fide clothing, badges etc from all sorts of places, wear it and no one checks or bothers unless you would try and get on a military establishment, it’s just another commodity, as the surplus shops would testify to.

But not security guards, builders or gardeners then? No. Thought not.

I’ve seen builders and gardeners with flashes and one with S/Sgt tapes. Whether they were on there when he bought them or put them on, but never the less.
As I said military uniform now is one step away from the rag box in terms of importance.
I remember seeing a security set up in a shopping precinct who were in RAF uniform and hats with epaulette tapes that at a distance weren’t too far from what are worn.

You are only likely to get into trouble if you actually try to pass yourself off as a member of HM Forces when you are not.

1 Like

This gives me concerns for my own position :wink:

Good point. We all try and pass ourselves off as members of the armed forces.

Do we?

In a passive manner, yes.

Ignoring those of us who are actually members of the armed forces, our appearance and posture/position gives the impression of a level of involvement with the active armed forces that simply is not there in reality. People will assume a deeper connection and we tend not to pre-emptively counter it.

2 Likes

Not for the purposes of my post. I have heard of people being arrested for actively posing as a member of the armed forces. We don’t, and our uniform is issued by the MOD anyway. When in uniform I don’t go up to everyone I see and tell them that I am not in the Army, nor would anyone expect me to. I will explain to anyone who asks, plus I wear ACF on my rank slide and an ACF badge.

1 Like

I would also hazard a guess that - being as we are officially members of an MoD-sponsored cadet organisation - that we count as ‘members of HM Armed Forces’ for the purpose of the law, or at the very least there is sufficient doubt as to whether we definitely don’t as to make defending someone a cakewalk for even the world’s worst lawyer.