Uniform too big!

Hi, my son joined air cadets in September and really loves being a cadet. He has just been given the blues uniform and the trousers are ridiculously big. It is not just a simple solution of taking the trousers up. The crotch is down to his knees and the waist and bum are huge. He looks like a clown and I find it insulting that he has been given these with the advice that mum can shorten them and he will grow into them. Looking at previous posts can see this is not a one off. My question is what is being done about this? This is totally unacceptable, it is not smart or practical to wear oversized trousers that will take many years to grow into. Who do we have to contact to fix this problem? Is Tony Keeling aware of this problem?. Moaning will get us no where, we need to solve this problem. Who is prepared to help me get this problem fixed? I need your support please.

1 Like

Just take them back the squadron and ask for smaller ones. They should be able to support.

With uniform the RAF (who supply our uniform for free) dont make kids sizes so its best fit/make fit. Simply the RAF dont have enough money/kit to kit out regulars properly let alone cadets.

On a side note - special order sizes are available to those who dont fit into regular sizes

3 Likes

I am happy to pay, we have to buy the MTP, anyone know where i can buy blues trousers made to a smaller size?

1 Like

Also why don’t they make kids sizes? Cadets start from age 13. Don’t they want the cadets to look smart and wear clothes that fit? Who do i need to contact to discuss this? Why do we all just accept this? This can be changed if enough of us request this!

1 Like

Secretary of State for Defence is where the buck stops.

3 Likes

They never have and never will unfortunatley. Even us tubby CFAVs struggle

It would be amazing if they did!

2 Likes

To be honest i would first approach the minister for defence procurement, followed by SofS.

Then for a smart move a quick follow with a petition to HM.

1 Like

Or…

Surplus store
Cadet direct
Ebay

If you can solve this problem, i will be amazed.
We’ve been trying since blues became a thing!

2 Likes

Because they’re not kid’s uniforms. They’re adult uniforms that come in smaller sizes that we’re able to put to cadet use.

Whether that should be the case is a different question!

4 Likes

You’re right, they should make kids’ sizes. There are more Air Cadets than RAF personnel and, with cadets growing and lots of new recruits, I wouldn’t be surprised if we get through as much blue uniform as the RAF. The contract should be extended really, especially now that we take cadets from 12. As has been said, the likelihood of the MOD doing that though is very slim. Worth asking the question though

2 Likes

Would it not be easier, for the smaller male cadets, to give them female slacks and add belt loops?

I have set up a petition, please sign Petition · Make RAF cadet uniform in child sizes · Change.org

1 Like

The first two questions I will ask, which seem to have been missed here, are: What size uniform have you been given; and what are your son’s measurements?

We seem to have dived straight into “The RAF don’t make uniform small enough to fit cadets” but actually, the smallest uniform is pretty darn small and the vast majority of cadets will fit into the correct size.

This could very likely be a simple of case of “he’s been given the wrong size”.

7 Likes

Would a government petition make more sense than Change.org? On the basis that you are petitioning the Government to make a change in the MOD suppliers?

2 Likes

Petition is a waste of time. Service personnel can’t get uniform, do you really think they will amend sizes to fit cadets :man_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

If you don’t ask, you won’t get. At least I am trying!

1 Like

Any advice on what needs to be done would be appreciated, i have not done this before. Just trying as i am not a sheep who will just follow the herd.

1 Like

Maybe they have just given him the wrong size. Why should it be so difficult to get him uniform that fits?

Just as an aside Change.org petitions are not worth the server space they are stored on (I.e. paper they are printed on). Change.org is a profiting lobbying company and has very little influence.

If you wish to influence a change of policy you are better using the parliaments petition site instead.

https://petition.parliament.uk/

Particularly on this matter as it’s a MoD /HM government issue. However you are better seeing if you can get different sizes from the Sqn in the first instance.

3 Likes