Uniform Stores Management

Hi all,

In the process of organising the squadrons stores (fun or what!), and was just going to take the details from the uniform order form and make a simple tally chart.

Has anybody got a simple system they use or any other ideas? I’m just looking at keeping tabs on what we have, so we can make uniform ordering less guesswork, and deal with some of the old gash uniform that has been accumulating.

Many thanks in advance,

OUAT

I used to use a simple spread sheet with a formula running through it.

TBH if you have a big enough stores to put everything in separate boxes according to size, you should be fine.

I’d say logically that it would be sensible to give each box of uniform a number.

Put the number on column 1 of a spreadsheet and then in the next column write either “Greens” or “Blues”. In the next column along write what is in the box, eg. “Jumpers” or “Smocks”, and in the next column along write the range of sizes in that box, for example “160-190”. In the final column write a quantity.

This could all be made much easier with the use of a database programme such as Access, which would allow you to have a GUI where things could be added/updated/removed easily. I’ll have a go at making a database and then send it to you.

2 Likes

I use a Web based piece of software called Airtable. It’s a cross between a spreadsheet and a database, very customisable and free. Only downside is that you need an Internet connection to use it. We use it for lots of things at the squadron.

If anyone finds/creates a database I would appreciate a copy! Been attempting to make one for a while but lack the know how.

Yes I’m same a clothing database or and store one be great

I have seen a system similar to the ones described above with some subtle changes.

rather than have a box of Wedgewood shirts sizes XX-ZZ as sooner or later you’ll just have XX and no others - and your sorting system (smallest to largest/top to bottom of box for instance) will get jumbled you can adopt a different format

in box 1 - 1x wedgewood shirt, 2x woorking blue (extremes of sizes), 1x No3 trousers, 1x jumper
in box 2 - 2x wedgewood shirt (extreme of sizes), 1x No3 shirt, 2x jumpers (extreme of sizes) and 1x working blue shirt
in box 3…and so on

for instance.

Of course the contents MUST be cataloged on a database (Excel is fine) and of course 100% accurate to be worth it.

advantage of this system - when you are looking for a 96 jumper you know which box will have one and you know which one to pull out - ie the only jumper in that box/one of two options.
rather than sifting through a box of 8 jumpers to find the size you need in the hope there is one and after the time spent looking you then realize that the size you need is not there, having to sacrifice with a smaller or larger compromise.

ok so that last point is relevant whatever system is used, if it isn’t in stock it isn’t there, but it saves rifling through a box full of jumpers looking for something that isn’t there if your only system/stock record is a label on said box 88-104
whatever the item in question using the excel filter function for No3 trousers size 94 and it will show the box(es) which have those garments in first time.

caution this system will ONLY work if every item and and out is 100% marked on the database. as it is issued it should be edited to be “unavailable” (or even issued to an individual) but a cheap/old laptop running only excel should be capable of managing this.

I have shelves with stuff on it, more or less split by product and size. If there is no stuff that I need on the shelf I will order one instead.

1 Like

We use exactly the same system as this.

The spreadsheet uses basic inbuilt filtering. Our “location” column essentially allows us to track what’s in the boxes - but also who has what item of uniform (so you could filter for “Cdt Jones” - and see a list of all the uniform Cdt Jones has.

Once every few months we’ll randomly audit a box and see what’s there and make sure it matches the spreadsheet and more often than not, it does.

By having the “mixed crate” approach it also means that you aren’t looking for 1 wedgewood shirt in a sea of wedgewood shirts - you might only have 2 or 3 of one specific uniform type in a box.

Our crates came from our Parent Station - however, I’ve setup this same system on 2 other squadrons just using vege boxes from Tescos/Sainsburys and found it to be just as effective.

We have a few boxes for each type of uniform (normally small, medium and large) and for our very limited space, this works well. Boxes are clearly labelled with the NSN and sizes of the uniform that should be in that box.

We also have an excel spreadsheet which tells us how much of each item we have.

It’s difficult to get a good photo in such a small space, but we fit (nearly!) all of our blue uniform in our standard spooner-hut storeroom.

I’ll upload the spreadsheet and Box labels to ACC drive soon when an appropriate folder for them has been created.

1 Like

Have added a uniform spreadsheet and box labels in ACC Drive:

Feel free to use them as you wish.

2 Likes

One of the problems I’ve seen for years, with trousers and skirts is the tendency for parents to alter them to make them fit, given that cadets come in awkward sizes that don’t follow those of the adults the uniform is made for. As such when I set up a spreadsheet many years ago I diligently put the label sizes down and recorded the numbers we had, until I gave a cadet a pair of trousers that should have fitted nicely except they were about 2 inches too short and about 1½ inches too small around the waist. These had been done professionally. I’ve seen this with a lot of trousers and skirts.
Also with systems like this if the originator doesn’t hand over or compile idiot level user instructions they tend to stop. Not a problem limited to the ATC.

Me too, please?