Uniform Initial Issue - What do I get

When it came to my initial knitting BZN refused to see me due supply issues. So I never had it just had to beg, borrow and steal

It’s now been 10 years

I’m going to have fun getting to my parent station since I don’t have a car . . . Not so easy to just “pop down” then.

2 Likes

Arrange for someone to pick up cadet uniform at same time and get a lift?

I’m lucky that my parent station is less than an hour away.

Even then they always have a gripe about some of our wing sqns not coming to collect uniform. :joy:

I think sometimes they forget we’re volunteers and do this for free. On my OIC, the regulars we spoke to in the mess were astounded at what we do for free.

2 Likes

Did you get a chance to try things out for size, or is it simply hand over the slip and get a bag full of kit?

Can they get distributed to WHQ then sent in from their via wing courses etc

Our wexo collects and then available from WHQ

@anon9987823 Yes, you can try bits on.

@themajor @AlexCorbin We collect our uniform orders during flying at AEF.

1 Like

That is pretty common. I have absolutely no idea what Turner Virr are playing at…
Good for me - I get lots of tailoring work making them fit; but bad for the volunteers* and for the RAF who will be paying quite a bit for these “made to measure” uniforms…

*Though since Officers get their No 1 provided for free whilst the rest of us have to beg/borrow/and buy in additional to perhaps having to pay to have them altered I don’t feel too bad for them :stuck_out_tongue:

But again it’s a clear case of mismanagement of public contacts and waste of money

1 Like

I will be collecting my No1s next week so will update!

Last I heard is they have been given an end date of their contract and are now fulfilling from premade kit

It’s not just the military contracts either.
I have a friend who bought a set of No 1 privately “made to measure” and measured by their own tailors.
When they were “ready” they were massive. Whilst they would have made the alterations themselves for free I ended up getting the work because they were needed for an event that weekend and TV couldn’t fit the job in for another week or so.

Now, “made to measure” is not a full bespoke, 3-fittings service, but one should be able to expect a certain standard. I had to make fairly major alterations that can only be the result of bad measuring, bad cutting, or both.
Not what one would expect when paying several hundred pounds.

I see the same errors time and again in their work. Shoulders too large; waist too large; often times the waist of the jacket and the belt are vastly different (it’s not been uncommon for the belt to be 3 or 4" bigger than the jacket waist); sleeves too long…

It’s a real shame. They are a company with a long and previously respectable history in military tailoring.
There are those of us out there who are working hard to master the craft, aiming for perfection; and then a big name like that lets the profession down by apparently opting for the lowest common denominator.

1 Like

Off topic but Fancy making me some no5s…mine have umm shrunk :joy:

I got my new set of no1s from TV direct took my measurements went for fitting at fareham and it was way off so they had to re do them

Yep, that’s same story as my friend. Very poor.

our uniform is distributed from WHQ, no idea how it gets to them.