Uniform enquiry

Should a cadet wear a beret outside of the parade square, for an example after a parade night waiting to get picked up outside the squadron premises?

Generally, your lid should always be on when you are in uniform.

However, when traveling to/from the Squadron, most units advise their cadets to remove headdress, and wear a normal jacket over their uniform. This is for security. This may well apply to cadets waiting outside the Squadron after a parade night to be picked up.

3 Likes

Thank you, what if a geltex is being worn and there is a clear view that itā€™s an air cadet?

Thereā€™s no real set rule to this, itā€™s all about judgement of risk/security. Speak to your unit staff. They should really have risk assessed cadets getting picked up outside the unit. This will vary massively dependent on your locality.

A Squadron in the middle of a city will likely have a very different ā€˜ruleā€™ compared to a squadron out in the sticks. Likewise, a Squadron based out of a TA centre will have different rules to one that is just in itā€™s own building.

This is not a ā€˜one size fits allā€™ thing.

Just apply common sense to the circumstances. Itā€™s not rocket science.

2 Likes

If itā€™s uniform, itā€™s uniform. A beret is worn outdoors. If itā€™s a civvie jacket over the top, itā€™s not uniform. A beret is not worn.

The question of whether cadets should be in uniform travelling to/from parade nights/events is separate.

3 Likes

this is a very fair definition

2 Likes

100% and Iā€™d add that a belted is not a civilian jacket.

AP1358 only allows mixed dress when riding a bike; ACP1358 may differ.

Sorry, I disagree with this stance. Itā€™s become another great cadetism that our people wear headdress all the time; wrong. You do not wear headdress at your place of work, so when youā€™re not on parade and are doing lectures or projects, no headgear!

And before we get the usual ā€˜but what about going into the office?ā€™ - err, just put it on!! Oh, and if youā€™ve got to go outside, umm, put it on?

Wearing headgear all the time is an Army thing, the RAF donā€™t do it, cadets shouldnā€™t either.

3 Likes

Absolutely. When I said ā€œ100%ā€ I was talking about outdoors, etc.