Ultilearn problems this week

Stick a 1 in front of that 3 years.

I believe Learn is now waiting for Units to go live prior as there’s some integration between the two. Obviously, that’s still beta in North region at this stage so that needs to press on first.

As for support, the general viewpoint is that the Digital team are finitely resourced, so available effort should be focused on the replacement systems rather than putting sticky plasters all over our legacy systems (SMS and Ultilearn). There’s lots of other firefighting ongoing too which adds further distraction from the nice to have stuff. Frustrating as that is for cadets/volunteers, having recently got involved in the Digital team, I appreciate just how outdated the architecture/code for those legacy systems are.

Progress with learn has been positive since we moved from the JSF to OCI, our accreditation has completed and we have just finalised the production environment build so that we can launch our beta test with Herts & Bucks Wing.

Prior to launching Learn we had to launch Units as this will form the basis for managing enrolments in courses/exams. The beta for Units has been running in North region and we have had some great feedback, with the team making a number of amendments based on feedback. Units will shortly be released to the whole organisation, details to follow via CoC in the coming week, once Units has launched, the beta test for Learn will be conducted so that we can test and adjust in preparation for the organisation wide rollout.

Whilst I appreciate the wait for an Ultilearn replacement has been long and drawn out, that frustration is felt equally by my team as it is elsewhere, when people ask genuine questions about progress, I would encourage that we don’t use our own misinformed frustrations or malcontent when answering people as it only adds to the frustrations and anyone that knows me will know I am always happy to talk things over, provide progress updates and challenge any delayed requests for help where I can.

9 Likes

I wish more dev ops people would use that phrase!

4 Likes

Do we have more information as to how long this trial is intended to run?

1 Like

When LEARN does roll out after beta.
Will it have all the exams on from the get go?

Asking purely for a basic planning point of view.

I would rather hold back on ultilearn exams for another month and have it all work in learn and units.

But if its 3 or 6 months away, will need to use ultifail.

Guidance on timeframes and completness on launch of learn appreciated.

1 Like

The trial with North region has been running for 4 weeks and will run for another 2 weeks.

2 Likes

All exams have been setup on Learn so that they are ready for launch and therefore negating the need to run Ultilearn and Learn side by side.

10 Likes

You’re saying words but I’m hearing music…

6 Likes

Out… standing

1 Like

I’m trying to keep to my usual pessimism when it comes to project delivery dates but the thought of this rolling out smoothly appears to have triggered a cardiac arrhythmia.

5 Likes

New problem for me, but - if I add cadets to ‘SMC-AHFT-XXX’ they can access the Senior/Master AHFT exam, but adding them to ‘SMC-DC-XXX’ and ‘SMC-MAS-XXX’ they can’t access the exams in Sat/Data comms or Military Aircraft Systems. i.e. the link between the Group and the Courses seems to be broken.

Is it just me? Frustrated senior cadets wanting to complete their Senior…

Is that not because there aren’t exams for them?

Last night we had a “cloud flare error” and my new CI who was mid way through the safeguarding course got kicked out.

There are exams for them…

2 Likes

I stand corrected.

Sat/Data Comms is one of the broken exams that won’t let cadets re-take it if they don’t pass it first time so I would avoid that one if at all possible.

one of my staff members has just volunteered/suggested that they teach that instead.

I assume the problem is known about and theyre just not ficing it on account of waiting for LEARN?

Fairly sure I recall mention of it now being a case of “if it’s broken, we’re not fixing it (to focus on new)” in a message or announcement somewhere.

1 Like

Thanks both, turned out cadet was being a muppet. Working now.

1 Like

Suspect you may have been sitting?

All looking very positive! Are there any more updates on progress?

Its been sometime since mid-October when the beta was initially due to end for North Region - has it been extended? Really excited for Learn and Units, or is it that North Region want it all to themselves :grinning: ?

Absolutely fantastic work that the Bader Digital Team have done. I was a cadet who started in 2012 - the digital side of things has come on leaps and bounds and that’s certainly accelerated markedly in the last 3 years. Keep up the good work!

2 Likes