Tying cords and tassels to banner!PLEASE HELP!

While cleaning the squadron banner, we took of the tassels so we could brasso the spike, how do tie them back onto the banner PROPERLY, we have a ceremonial comp coming up very soon!

It’s simple, it’s just a straightforward loop.

Make a loop (Technically a ‘bight’) in the middle, pass it over the pike and pull the tassels through the loop. No knots involved.

Is there a regulation way they should hang on a pike? If so whoever suggested it needs to get out more. We’ve always looped as said and had them at different lengths as life’s too short.

Have you washed the tassels as dirty tassels will be marked down for definite.

Nothing is written as regulation.
When you buy your new banner the cords tend to be tied on in a fairly simple round turn and weird-hitch.
I just loop mine on a bight as Baldrick has said.

I do like the way the RAF Squadron Standards do it, by passing through a grommet hole in the Standard itself. Now, I’m not suggesting you go cutting a hole in your Banner, I just happen to think it looks nice :slight_smile:

Note also from this picture the length of the cord and tassel - as new the cords always come too long.
Again, nothing is written for us but I always advise Squadron’s in my Wing to shorten the cords to the length shown. It makes for less flailing and the shorter length allows the casing to be done in three neat turns instead of having loads extra hanging around.

But if they’re that short, how does one grab them when the banner is ordered? I would have thought the ideal length would be the same as the diagonal from top of the pike to the far corner of the banner,

Either don’t grab them - it’s not necessary - or roll them inside the silk when the Banner is dressed.