Tutor Cockpit Parts

Hello all.

This is part of a college project to make a flight sim and I am very close to the assembly of the frame and panel most other small parts have been done when I saw the small black parts under the glareshield in the red boxes.

Does anyone know if whats inside the red boxes are the panel lights? I can’t see any of the post type ones and can’t remember seeing any proper cockpit lights when I was last in a tutor, however I wasn’t particularly looking and it was a while ago. Also does anyone know if they are white/red/green etc.

Then the rocker switch in the blue box, when zoomed in as far as possible there is a symbol almost possible to make out but I can’t quite. Any ideas?

Any help is much appreciated.

Not too sure about the red boxes, I would have said they were just air vents?

The switch in the blue box is definitely marked ‘MUTE’, no idea what it mutes though!

Does it mute the propellor?

It mutes the R/T when it’s busy so the crew can hear each other on the intercom. Vigilants have them fitted too.

Sorry to drag this on, I’m assuming you have to hold it down to mute it rather than just being able to mute all radio comms and forget about it, otherwise I would of thought the pilots types might get a bit confused? :lol:

Also do you know how many turns it takes approximately to go from full pitch up trim to full pitch down? In reward there will be excessively detailed plans and wiring diagrams, and by the end of the month some pretty pictures, of what will hopefully be a working flight sim.

If you don’t have a reply in a few weeks, I’ll pop into one of our Tutors and have a look for you.

Sadly I won’t be there for about 3 weeks due to exams!

[quote=“rifle” post=6924]Sorry to drag this on, I’m assuming you have to hold it down to mute it rather than just being able to mute all radio comms and forget about it, otherwise I would of thought the pilots types might get a bit confused? :lol:
[/quote]

You’re assuming wrong. Hit the switch. Say what you need to say. Switch back. There’s not much point in having a switch on the panel that you’d have to hold while potentially having to show Bloggs something that requires the use of both hands.

As for forgetting it’s switched on- only if your drills are slack. In addition to the switch being checked on a regular basis during the periodic check, (FEEL checks in the case of the Vigilant.) if you’re on a busy frequency that might necessitate using a mute switch, then you tend to notice if it’s been quiet for a while.

Muting the RT??? Why not just turn the radio down a bit? You have one for a reason, you might as well just switch it off if you’re going to mute it…

When you’re teaching and (as we generally are these days) in receipt of a radar service, along with all the other airspace users, it’s a necessity sometimes, particular in the more verbose sorties. It’s also far easier to press a switch than turn the radio down, and you are far less likely to forget about than a radio rotary volume control as you can sit with your finger near it to remind you. You may also be listening out on more than one radio, so one switch is easier than two rotary knobs.

As an example, when teaching spinning, at the spin entry I will almost always press the mute switch, un-muting once safely out of the spin. The words you have to get across for the teach during what is a very dynamic (and disorientating for the student) manoeuvre don’t need to be interrupted by ATC. If you miss a call, chances are they’ll call again very soon after!

As for the things at the top of the cockpit, I’ve never really noticed - having only flown it at night once! I may did out the manual later!

Hmm…each to their own, my spin recoveries in training were done with the radios on in the reasonably busy Lincolnshire airspace whilst working the Waddington LARS albeit only on a basic service. To me as a civilian pilot it seems heinous to be in receipt of a radar service (I assume it means the same thing in both worlds i.e. radar control) intentionally having no radio contact even for a short while.

Weekdays on a military frequency can be exceptionally busy in the Lincolnshire AIAA - often far busier than Waddo’s VHF LARS (even on a weekend).

I wouldn’t be listening anyway in a spin (75% talking, 25% making sure it would end successfully!), so rather than the distraction in a manoeuvre where you can’t avoid anything anyway (hence the lookout), it’s easier to turn it off for the brief time you’re doing it rather than potentially waste time having to climb and do it again.

I’ll take your word for it, after all I’m not up there on your freqs or doing spins/aeros/what have you daily. It just seems bizarre to me to rob yourself of that little bit of extra SA, especially if the airspace is busy!

SA’s all very well if you’re in a position to receive it! As I say, there are some parts of the flight where it’s more of a distraction than an aid. :slight_smile: Its use is very very sparingly though. Often you can go for weeks without needing it.

Hello chap,

Er, our Tutors don’t seem to have these mysterious black panels?

[attachment=58]IMG_1173.JPG[/attachment]

Sorry I couldn’t help you there!

I’m intrigued as to the meaning of the blue line on the ASI, I’ve only ever seen this done on twins to indicate VYSE? The other speed marks (white arc, VNE etc) seem to be fairly similar to those on the Arrow, if the speeds are indeed the same, this mark would be close to VX is this the case?

Also the red marker at 60 degrees bank on the AI?

IIRC, it’s 77kts, the theoretical “by the book” climb speed. As standard 80kts (75kts above 5000ft) are used in service.

That’s the AI “fail” flag. Without electrical power on, it should be in view.