Turning down donations

Does anyone look into who they get a donation from and what they do?

This recent story about the gala dinner, which it seems has been going on for over 30 years and raised £20 million for charities. But now it’s going to stop. Who will provide that level of funding?

At any time getting money is an uphill struggle, so removing a source of donations, is a dangerous thing in my mind.

Would you accept donations from your local neo-Nazi group?

How about from your local Masonic lodge or Rotarians?

When I was a Sqn OC, we received a donation from the local Masons. a former OC Wg was the Chief Pointy Head and invited the OC’s of several youth groups to a formal dinner where the cheques were dished out.

Very helpful indeed and a nice dinner to boot.

2 Likes

My masonic lodge often gives donations to cadet units. Never had one returned yet.

Can’t help but feel this story is a bit of a bandwagon that’s been jumped on, admittedly I was pretty baffled/disgusted by the reports of lewd behaviour and what it is that makes supposedly grown men act like schoolkids who’ve never come across a woman before in real life, however one can’t deny the amount of money the organisation raised over the years and the good causes its gone to. Now there are all sorts of Loony Lefties jumping on the bandwagon saying that all-male organisations should be banned etc. etc. etc… Funnily enough no mention of all-female organisations.

What happened was shocking and the guilty parties need to be carpeted for it, however to shut down a club that has done a lot of good over the years for charities seems an extreme over-reaction IMO. Part of the trend of Hate-The-Rich which is worryingly gathering pace (not rich myself and don’t hold any grudges against the rich myself).

2 Likes

given these organisations have “charitable fundraising” as part of their ethos there is more reason to reject National Lottery funding due to the links to Gambling than a £200 cheque from the local do-gooders society!

1 Like

I would doubt they would be in a position to do anything.

You can always pick an extreme. One of the local schools refused money from a Rotarian group, for some bizarre reason, but another took them up and has had £35000 over 6 years from them.

Up until I was in my car the other day and turned on the Radio to hear Jeremy Vine prattling on about it I had no knowledge of this at all.Of course Vine being Vine he was being totally non biased(NOT).Any caller who came on and disagreed with what he and the tame feminist reporter in the studio said was either talked over or ignored.
Now apparently naughty behaviour went on at this fundraiser however ive yet to see any evidence of it even on the secret footage the reporters took at the event.This hasnt of course stopped the usual suspects coming out of their holes and screaming sexist and all men are pigs etc.The government as expected has caved in immediately and told off a minister (whom id never heard of) for attending.I guess it wont be long before the Met launch an investigation either.However the stupidest people of all in my view are Great Ormond Street who in a fit of righteous indignation have returned over £500 grand donated from the event.Obviously Gt Ormond Street are so well off they can turn down half a million.The whole thing has been blown out of all proportion. It wasnt a Roman orgy or a black mass it was a charity dinner.What next for the thought Police cadet discos and staff xmas parties.Come to think of it ive seen some drunken behaviour at Wing Guest Nights.Evening all mind how you go.

1 Like

If it was an all male function. Why can’t there be all Male staff attended?

Having worked in previous all Male environments, i do miss it. They were simpler times.

Not to mention , have any of the females come forward to say they consented?

I seem to remember quite a few times being on the receiving end of a few hen parties and I neither consented nor wanted any of the physical contact with the salivating dogs. But I remember a young female cooper who just laughed. If it was the other way around though…

Oh Jeremy Kyle … oops Vine has got on this. I don’t listen to R2 after Ken Bruce.

What we will get now are the women who over the last 30 or so years have been so traumatised by it, they haven’t said anything, pop up to get a few grand from whichever rag.

Similar at hen nights, you seem to get old women, who’ve drunk too much alcohol, dressed like 20 year olds thinking they are everyman’s dream and only too ready to hurl abuse that would make a docker blush if you tell them to get stuffed. This normally gets some more from the other women. Normally the old women are squeezed into something that you need the figure of stick insect to look good in.

1 Like

Hmm, perhaps we’re on to something here lads (assuming of course we are all male that is… apologies to anyone who isn’t). I too have received unwanted attention in bars, nightclubs etc. from drunken females and have been groped, propositioned and had inappropriate remarks when “No thanks” just didn’t seem to be understood. Indeed, when out with my (then pregnant) wife one evening a couple of years back, a lady who for some reason (can’t remember why) started talking to my wife told (or rather shouted at) my wife “Get him right now, he’s gorgeous!”. Well, thanks for the vote of confidence, but I’m not sure it was entirely necessary or wanted.

#metoo indeed.

However, I haven’t made a big fuss over it because I’m an adult and I can handle myself and I accept that, especially when alcohol is involved, some people just can’t control themselves and make a bit of a prat of themselves.

4 Likes

Some would class the ACO (sorry, RAFAC) as a neo-Nazi group. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Let’s just take a step back here. It’s a load of rich men for some pretentious dinner.
I would imagine the Women knew what they signed up to.

And why is it all men events getting attacked and not just this pretentious doorknob event. The media even stating “do they have a place in the 21st century” of course they do you absolute avacados. If women behaved the same way towards a male member of waiting staff, would the reaction be the same?

I doubt men at an all Male event for a safe space for Male victims of domestic abuse would have behaved the same way.

It’s quite obvious the reason for only female hostess’. But then again. Why not provide all Male staff?

Likewise, it is entirely possible that they are simply employees and had little say in the matter if they wished to continue to be employees.

If they had been offered the job with the line “there is a posh blokes boozy dinner and we need waiting staff - it may be a bit gropey” then fine. I find that unlikely, though I have no information one way or the other.

This is a general warning to keep on topic or I’ll delete it, given how close to inappropriate some of these posts are. I’ve already tidied up some posts and deleted some altogether.

GThe practice of hiring models and actresses as hostesses or waitresses is common place in business in general and in the city in particular. The reasoning behind it is very simple, if you hire a Silver service company to provide waitressing staff to your event you get who and what you are given, if you hire a modelling company to provide the same function you get the young ladies of your choice in a Little Black Dress.

That in general isn’t really an issue, it’s business and as has always been the case sex sells. The issue here is thaf some people at the event have taken the opportunity to become handsy and a journalist was present looking for just that story.

Now back to the topic in question, if the Presidents Club offered me the half a million that GOSH gave back I wouldn’t even think twice, I’d be too busy buying Adventure Training Kit and a Landrover to put it all in.

What you have to look at is the long term, would the appearance of taking money from a source that’s getting a bad press hurt more than it would help? For an ATC unit half a million pounds would mean we wouldn’t have to fundraise for pretty much ever. For a large organisation like GOSH it’s still a lot of money, but they have to look at whether or not the bad press would damage other funding streams. (Would it cost them £500,001 if so they are better off without it).

2 Likes

I’m going to take a wild guess here but the sort of harrassment - wrong as it might be - isn’t really at the same sort of level that many women (and girls) have to deal with. Just take Natalie Portman’s revaltion this week that her first ever piece of fan mail - aged 13 - was someone’s rape fantasy about her.

IIronic then that she defends a director who fled the country after being wanted in connection with the rape of a 13 year old girl and numerous sexual misconduct allegations.

Can Hollywood spell hypocrisy?

Nor me it was only tuned in as id been listening to Johnny Walker sounds of the 70s on Sunday afternoon.I grew bored of Vine after a few mins and reverted to an Eagles Greatest Hits Cd (class)

1 Like