Trooping the Colour

I’ve managed to blag some (standing) tickets to this year’s Trooping the Colour. Obviously there are going to be plenty of big wigs around and I was wondering if anyone who’s been before know what the drill is on saluting. Is it really a case of up down up down all day with the arm as I pass senior officers or is there a general agreement of not saluting as you pass each other in the street?

If you have a formal invite it should say about uniform.

Been there, and know plenty of others who have attended, but never in uniform.

Smart civvies, blazer and chinos if you want.

1 Like

Thanks. It was from a contact with the CTT at horseguards. He said to go in uniform, I’ll try and grab him to ask but he’s off this week.

I wouldn’t go in uniform if I could possibly avoid it.

It will be the kind of saluting chaos you imagine for several hours, and - to be blunt - everyone is going to be wearing the fanciest uniform they can get away with and will have worked on it for weeks. You however are going to look pretty rubbish, and you’re going to feel pretty rubbish, which will spoil your day.

If it’s just adults then that’s your lookout, but if it’s taking cadets as well I think it’s a bit unfair.

I’d wear smart civvies, watch the show - and that’s what it is, all of it, not just the bit on the square - and then nip off into London for a nose and an outrageously priced ice cream. Being in uniform will put a dent in what you can do afterwards, though you’ll also need to think about whether your cadets actually have any smart civvies…

5 Likes

I have been twice both times in the stands and in u iform both times. It was great. Much much better than watching it on tele. There were lots of people in uniform, regulars, reserves and cadets with CFAVs. It was a saluting fest. The colours, HMQ, drum horses and field guns. All rate a salute as they go past and they all go past several times. There are officers dotted around telling you when to salute and when to stop.
The benifit of wearing uniform is that there is a special queue for service personnel with an accelerated entry process and really short queue.
Iwould recomed wearing uniform.

3 Likes

Other than going to the pub, I’m not really sure how?

I guess things could get confusing and awkward if you went to a strip club in uniform

1 Like

Especially if you get the wrong one and the manager tries to throw you on stage…

4 Likes

Would love to know how to get tickets for future ones if anyone knows

1 Like

MOD ballot every year. Got mine through a contact in HorseGuards.

1 Like

I agree with @angus.
I’ve been to the Colonel’s Review 3 times (seated) and each time in smart civvies to avoid wandering around London in uniform afterwards. We tried twice for tickets for the actual event and got nowhere, so went for the full dress rehearsal and got tickets each time. The cadets that have been have thoroughly enjoyed it even though some players are missin. IMO you can’t forget the King’s Troop especially one time when we had corner seats and they were heading towards us and mounted band is a spectacle.
Civvies are a lot easier as you can do whatever you like afterwards and go into tourist mode.

If you intend to go, the rehearsal the week before is not as limited on tickets and they are cheaper, plus it normally falls into Whitsun school holiday. The last time we went it was a tenner each, we put a list up and invited family members as well, asked for 45 and got them. Given you have to be on-site by 1000 and it takes around 2½ hours, having seats is a blessing. We have applied in Jan/Feb.

1 Like