Told I would be recieving a ‘discussion…’ for missing a parade

I missed the ATC sunday parade without informing anyone as I thought the parade was the sunday following. I was told by a few people that they stated people who did this would recieve a ‘discussion…’ Ellipsis included. Does anyone have an idea on what this ‘discussion’ is?

Probably a jacked up cadet NCO/staff member trying to berate you unnecessarily

3 Likes

Yeah this.

Explain yourself, and ask where it says in regulations that you must attend that parade. Spoiler, its nowhere.

2 Likes

Thank you.

Thanks

No bother. Let us know what happens and stand your ground if it gets unreasonable

1 Like

…remaining calm and polite.

If it’s anything more than “why weren’t you there”, followed by “be more careful to take notice of dates in future” and “please make an effort to inform us of any absences in advance to assist our plans and prevent unnecessary waiting/calling around” then consider finding someone else to listen and take care of it if you think any response (such as unjust, negative consequences) is too much.

7 Likes

In a way parents are the highest ranking people in the Cadets, so if they seem to be having too much of a go at you then turn the tables on them and, get your parents to have a discussion with them.

If you had signed up for it and then not shown up and not contacted me I would be calling you in to have a friendly discussion to see what happened. If this was a recurring thing I’d probably have a word with you about responsibility. It wouldn’t be an Alex Ferguson hairdryer type discussion, just a general chat to find out the facts. Depending on what the reason was I would probably then bear it in mind next time you bid for something where I need to approve you, or give a priority order.

If it goes beyond a general chat then by all means get your parents involved, but a big part of the cadets is learning to take responsibility for yourself. By the sounds of things you made a genuine mistake in the date which can happen to anyone. Own it, apologise, explain how you’ll work to avoid it happening again and move on. Maybe preempt it by sending an email to your OC apologising for the mistake.

If you never signed up to go but were voluntold by your oc then that’s a different matter with even less culpability on you.

2 Likes

Update: It was just a simple chat. Thanks everyone.

7 Likes

Should simply be a “Noticed you didn’t attend the parade after you signed up. What happened?”

Had it before as an OC.

Sometimes;

• cadets make a genuine mistake with timings,
  • other things come up, like a family emergency
  • the staff weren’t clear with their instructions… (been there, done it).

Take it on the chin and move on. Anything more than that, let us know…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.