Time off from schools letter

Hi all

Can anyone point me in the direction of the letter that was available for cadets to give to schools to support them getting time off to attend activities? There is one I’ve found signed by Dawn for AEF which I could adapt but I remember there was one kicking about somewhere previously.

Headteachers Absence Request from School-AEF.docx

I think that’s the one I have adapted in the past, couldn’t find much else.

There’s one from TK, but it’s Fairbourne specific and talks about the RAFAC being an official education provider of something. Lunch in 2 mins, I’ll find it for you!

Here’s the letter mentioned above. As said, Fairbourne specific. Not sure if we are allowed to change it. I wouldn’t want a letter I had signed being changed then sent out… A generic one would be good, but I spent ages looking for one a couple of weeks ago as I have a cadet wanting a letter to take time off for RIAT.

@Ben_Wakefield as that’s your thing, don’t suppose you could create a RIAT time off letter? :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s exactly the reason I’m looking too. I will adapt the AEF one if I have to but there definitely used to be a more generic one.

Alot of these cmdt items.dont get refreshed on change over.
Such as the letter to employers.

there has been a RIAT specific letter once upon a time…the latest copy I have thought is signed by Dawn in 2014 but could be adapted i am sure

Let me see what I can do on a RIAT letter!

1 Like

Thanks. A mutual friend sent me one and I adapted it, but it might be good for others to have.

@Ben_Wakefield Any luck with a RIAT School Absence Request letter? I’ve had a parent of my attendee ask for one as well. Just didn’t want to adapt the AEF one if it already exists.

PM me and I can send the one I did.

I don’t suppose anyone has ever done one for ISCRM? Have a cadet just requested one to get the Friday off.

Here is the text of the one I’ve used. Taken partially from the HQAC one, partially from a CFAV at my squadron who used it with his previous squadron and amended as per the activity:

Dear Headteacher,

Pupil Request to Attend Royal Air Force Air Cadet Activities

I am writing this letter to accompany a request by one of your pupils for time away from school to attend the NAME OF ACTIVITY, a Royal Air Force Air Cadet Activity. I thought it would be helpful to provide you with a little background on our organisation and an explanation of why this experience will be of real benefit. I should make it clear up front that time away from school for Air Cadet activity is not considered to be holiday or leave of absence from school by the Department for Education. I feel it is necessary to clarify this point in light of the Education (Pupil Registration) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2013 which came into force on 01 September 2013.

“The Department for Education do not view structured Air Cadet training activities either as holidays or as leave of absence from school. They should be considered by schools as approved educational activity off-site, or as educational visits or trips (Code B or Code V), just as a school would do for Duke of Edinburgh expeditions or outward bound residential courses. It is of course for Air Cadet units to convince schools of the educational merit, but they should be absolutely clear that these are not holidays, so the exceptional circumstances consideration should not even come into question.”

(Independent Education and School Governance Division, Department for Education (DfE))

Who Are the Air Cadets?

The Royal Air Force Air Cadets are the largest aviation-focussed uniformed youth organisation in the UK, comprising over 34,000 community-based cadets in Air Training Corps (ATC) Squadrons and over 9,000 cadets in the Combined Cadet Force (CCF), supported by over 10,000 adult volunteers.

The mission of the organisation is:

To be a modern, dynamic, sustainable air-minded youth organisation of choice that offers fun and challenging opportunities to young people and adult volunteers alike and develops citizens with valuable skills for the future.

What Will Your Pupil Be Doing?

To be taking part in NAME OF ACTIVITY your pupil is already a member of 123 (ANYTOWN) Squadron ATC. Our core activities cover air experience flying, gliding and aviation studies and we also provide many other training activities from sports to music, and camps to community volunteering.

All our training courses are designed to stretch and develop our young people and provide them with new life skills. They are carried out by highly qualified instructors who are either employees of the Ministry of Defence or volunteers. The courses will invariably lead to useful additional internal and external qualifications for the cadets. External qualifications include first aid, DofE and BTECs in aviation studies, public services and music.

Why Is the Activity In Term Time?

Some of our activities are provided by members of the Armed Forces or other providers and, inevitably, this means that the dates of the event are out of our control and on this occasion fall during term time. The importance of students keeping up to date with their studies is always reinforced and indeed, where appropriate, time is provided to complete homework.

I do recognise that your curriculum will be packed and there is pressure on you and your staff to deliver results. Time spent with us is however not a holiday. For many this will be a life changing learning experience that can complement school activity and offer valuable skills, such as an understanding of citizenship, teamwork and leadership skills to name a few.

“Schools with cadet units often tell us that the cadet experience is one of the most valuable extracurricular activities their young people enjoy. Around 140,000 young people across the country belong to a cadet force, but the Government’s Positive for Youth strategy highlighted its ambition for more opportunities for young people, from a wide range of backgrounds, to benefit from the cadet experience.”

(Anne Jackson, Director System Reform Group, DfE, in a 2013 letter to schools with cadet units)

I do hope you will be able to grant the time away from school that is being requested by your pupil in order that they can take part in this fantastic opportunity. You will find further information on the Royal Air Force Air Cadets our website but if you have any further queries please contact the undersigned first instance using the details included in this letter and I will be more than happy to assist.

Yours Faithfully,

2 Likes

P.S. I know the numbers aren’t correct. But I CBA to change them, anyone can if they want.