Time for a clean-up?

I was just looking at the memberlist, and whilst over 10,000 is impressive it is clear that most were transferred from the old forum and have never logged in (possibly they never did anything on the old forum anyway). By my rough calculations it means approx 10170 people are non active in this forum alone, let alone those who haven’t logged in in the last 8 months.

Can we get rid? Should we?

No, it is for users to decide whether they want to be part of the forum, not for us to decide.

The number of users makes no real difference to those who actually post - active people will continue to post no matter if there are 100 users of 100,000

10,170 people didn’t decide to be a part of this new forum - they were just transferred across. It does make a mockery of the user database though - you can hardly find anyone in it quickly and it must slow up the server in some way? A few forums i contribute to have a one-year limit. Unless you log in (you don’t have to contribute) your account is removed.

What’s the purpose of maintaining over 10,000 identities? You sound worse that the Met police :evil: :whistle: :mrgreen:

[quote=“Plt Off Prune” post=14600]I was just looking at the memberlist, and whilst over 10,000 is impressive it is clear that most were transferred from the old forum and have never logged in (possibly they never did anything on the old forum anyway). By my rough calculations it means approx 10170 people are non active in this forum alone, let alone those who haven’t logged in in the last 8 months.

Can we get rid? Should we?[/quote]

Bored???

[quote=“SVS” post=14607][quote=“Plt Off Prune” post=14600]I was just looking at the memberlist, and whilst over 10,000 is impressive it is clear that most were transferred from the old forum and have never logged in (possibly they never did anything on the old forum anyway). By my rough calculations it means approx 10170 people are non active in this forum alone, let alone those who haven’t logged in in the last 8 months.

Can we get rid? Should we?[/quote]

Bored???[/quote]

Yeah. Sat at work waiting for something to occur. :popcorn:

It’s actually an interesting question, especially when you look into the data protection act.

I’ll have a review of the legislation and possibly look at removing inactive accounts.

cheers

DJ

Is there an easy way of mass messaging “non-active” users (via the site?) to advise them that if they don’t access/use the site by a certain date, then their account will be deleted?

I suspect that the answer will be no! :wink:

As you may have noticed I’ve cleaned out all the inactive users.

This brings our user count to one with real meaning!

Having reviewed the Data Protection Act, keeping unused email addresses is not illegal but is not advised!

Therefore, having mailed every user of ACC I have deleted the accounts that were not in use.

Cheers

DJ