The best gig I’ve been to or band i’d love to see is…

First gig ACDC 1978 Hammy Odeon. Dad took me and my mate, went off to see some old mates and cane back to get us.

The best gig I think was Gordon Giltrap with Ric Sanders at the Half Moon, Putney. Went with my mate who had played guitar for several years, still does, badgered me to go. Didn’t know what to expect, he lent me the couple Giltrap albums he had, which were taped, was you did back then. My only ‘experience’ of Gordon Giltrap was ‘Heartsong’, but these albums were a revelation. Turning up and seeing a series of acoustic guitars some amplified some not a similarly violins of Ric Sanders, made me a little hesitant. They started and I don’t know where the next 2+ hours went, it was mesmeric. I bought several albums of Giltrap’s in following months and since.

I’ve seen bigger bands and yes the shows are good, but I much preferred seeing them in smaller venues to stadiums etc. More intimate with a much better atmosphere and I resent paying ridiculous money and the scrum to get up close and still pay good money to watch the people on stage via a big screen. It was a shame when bands stopped playing smaller venues. I’ve been going to pubs for well over 30 years and seen some amazing musicianship and bands and some not so. But as you at most get in for nowt or only pay a couple quid, it’s not a problem, as the bands need money to keep going. Paying several 10s or 100s to see ‘big band’ and feeling a bit meh.

Also… gotta show of bit of my cultured side :wink:

Always enjoy an evening at the RAH for the BBC Proms.

Will always make time to go and see Gustav Holst ‘The Planets’

1 Like

It’s an interesting one, there is something Special about a big outside venue, I saw the Foo Fighters at Milton Keynes and it was amazing. I also saw Cold Play (who I’m not a huge fan of) at the Emirates and the venue and the size of the crowd took an average band and made for a great gig.

Big on the flip side seeing Aerosmith in front of 3,500 people was pretty special

Seeing Enter Shikari in side the Southampton Joiners which has a capacity of 200 was an experience. And my knees told me that the following day(s) :joy:

2 Likes

If I could ever travel back in time, it would be to see that gig.

I’ve got it on DVD, but I doubt that compares to seeing that live.

Plus, the live version of Comfortably Numb from that gig is my neighbours favourite song…I play it loud, weither he likes it or not!!

I had a great time at Tunes In The Dunes a few years back.

Sun, sand, and cider… Perfect.

I’ve not been to a stadium to see bands, I’ve done outdoors Milton Keynes, Reading and Mildenhall and other than Reading the weather was good. The bands were still good, but the intimacy wasn’t there.
The other problem is bands might do 2 nights at a stadium or large indoor venue, whereas they could do 3 or 4 nights in the smaller venues and if you were able you could go and see them a couple of times.
As I say I much prefer the pub scene, one of the biggest draws is not having to book months in advance. The last band we looked at going to see was Jeff Lynne as ELO at Wembley, but £130 a pop, was IMO about £80 too much, especially as all 5 of us would have gone.

Foo Fighters at Milton Keynes, band I would love to have seen would of been Nirvana at Reading!

2 Likes

Queen + Adam Lambert at the O2 was my first gig and we’ve seen them twice since and have tickets for the 2020 tour too!

I saw Queen with Paul Rogers at the O2 which was great, I would love to see them in their prime with Freddie.

That was an epic gig for sure!

Although my favourite bestest ever was probably REM at the Rose Bowl in 2008. Or Counting Crows back in around 1997 at Royal Albert Hall - which was incredibly moving.

:heart_eyes: I saw them in Hyde Park which was also amazing

Kooks and Madness this evening!!

1 Like

Check out Frank Turner, he’s playing tomorrow at Victorious!

If I wasn’t shielding I’d be there!

1 Like

I’ll be there :grin::grin:

1 Like

This was meant to be my next gig, but I can’t go :frowning:

That’s one line up I would have wanted to see, second to Freddie. I used to wake up to a Paul Rogers recording of Fat Bottom Girls as my alarm!

I’ve been to one or two gigs in my (younger) time but to see my mate, TGPT, play pre-pandemic with Lindisfarne was one of the best I’ve been to.

I took no photos tonight because I was to busy dancing, but I have to say, Royal Blood may have been one of the best sets I’ve seen…

1 Like