TG21 v5

An old SSI couldn’t work emails. If he ever sent you one the whole text would be in the subject line in all caps

1 Like

Apart from on SMS, do you have a reference for this? I might be missing it in ACTO 10.

I’m not finding a reference either. It must exist though, SMS only implements mechanisms in support of policy.

Show me a reference that says it’s required for activity X

I’ll wait

2 Likes

Here you go.

AIR CADETS ADVENTURE TRAINING INSTRUCTIONS INSTRUCTION No 3

PERSONAL DETAILS, MEDICAL CONSENT FORM AND CERTIFICATE OF HEALTH

1. The Adult Staff Next of Kin Health Form (TG22), Cadet Activities Consent Form (TG21) and Medical Declaration Form (TG23) (if appropriate) must be completed by all adult staff and cadets taking part in the Air Cadets Adventure Training Scheme. Forms in respect of cadets under 18 years of age must be countersigned by the person having parental responsibility for the cadet concerned. Adult Staff are reminded that they act in ‘loco parentis’, rather than having parental responsibility, should a cadet require medical treatment, and the cadet’s parents/guardians are unavailable to give their consent. Additionally, when completed, these forms are legal documents and are to be treated as ‘Restricted – Medical’. The forms are, therefore, to be stored accordingly under Wing arrangements. All completed adult staff documents are to be kept for a period of 3 years from the end of the activity. Cadet documents must be kept until the age of majority (18 years), plus a further 3 years thereafter. When the activity is completed hand form to Wing HQs for retention.

Of course, Restricted is no longer a valid UK security classification and I’m sure there are other problems.

1 Like

Doesn’t the code of conduct explicitly state staff don’t act in loco parentis?

such as

• it is only applicable to AT activities
  • I understood that CFAV do not act “in loco parentis” - while we may have direct care for young people, a legal guardian is assumed to be contactable at any time while we do.

But it is something!

There is an exception for when urgent medical treatment is required and the family cannot be contacted. This is delegated to us on the TG21 form.

The TG21 appears to make no such statement.

Thats an oddity, i cant admit to having read a TG21 in any detail but it says this in the cadet code of conduct.

Parents/ carers/guardians should note that the RAFAC does not act in loco parentis for cadets under the age of 18 and parental responsibility remains with cadets’ parents, guardian or carers in accordance with Section 2 of the Children Act 1989 (England and Wales), Section 106 of the Children (Scotland) Act 1995 and Sections 5-7 of The Children (Northern Ireland) Order 1995. The only exception to this is in the event of a cadet requiring very urgent medical treatment, including any emergency operation, when parents, guardians or carers are unable to physically give consent and they have delegated this responsibility at Section 4 of RAF Form 3822 (Air Training Corps Consent Certificate) or on TG Forms 21, 22 and 23.

My bold.

Obviously the 3822 is the Record of Service book. Assuming they mean the 3822A, section 4 is the photo and video consent section.

HQAC needs to review and revise the consent paperwork and the underlying concept thereof, methinks!

1 Like

Ive just had a look at the consent section on the 3822A. the form seems more concerned with the consent to take part in the activity rather than the consent for us to actually look after the child. In my mind the medical treatment part should be separate and need a signature rather than just a tick box.

What version was that you found?
The current 3822A as per sharepoint, at ver 3.0, looks like this:

The text about medical treatment is now in the general “Parental / Guardian Agreement” box, though I am unsure whether that is materially different from the legal status of “in loco parentis” which may have a wider scope.

1 Like

Dare i say Version 1.04… Thanks Norfolk and Suffolk Wing for making me look silly. I should have learned years ago sharepoint search brings up rubbish.

Mostly when sub-units decide to upload their own copies of standard paperwork rather than just linking to the central, controlled document.

Surely there should be some sort of purge. Beatings too, perhaps!

3 Likes

Should version 5 be printed if we select TG Form 21 from the Reports drop down of an event in SMS ? An event I’ve created which takes place next week is still bringing up the V4.

I can’t see this mentioned on V5 of the form anywhere - unless I need to go to Specsavers…

No you are correct, it probably was on there at some point but more uptodate revisions dont have it. Same for the cadet code of conduct that says it does.

1 Like

It also creates a TG 21 for every single cadet, regardless of if they’ve been selected or not.

This was handy recently as it produced forms for my reserves. Didn’t have anybody not selected or reserve in that particular instance so I can’t confirm if I’d have got others.

I used to export to PDF so I could be selective about which ones I printed. Handy for reprints or late additions.