Teams Training - what are you doing? And how?

We currently only have a handful of cadets attending our VPNs. I’m finding it difficult to come up with ideas to keep them engaged, as we have a couple aiming to get first class, whereas the other couple that show up have already spent a lot of time recently doing exams and classification training so we aren’t wanting to bore them. In addition to a lack of cadets, most of them don’t have much else apart from a phone to hand, and some have questionable internet at the best of times, along with most of them not being well off and we know are struggling, so can’t even get airfix kits or similar for example for then to do as projects. We’ve been able to piggyback off other local squadrons for some things but we want our cadets to stay involved with is as a squadron, but trying to find things for our cadets to do is near impossible. Does anyone have any ideas that might keep both the newbies and the oldies engaged as well as the staff, because we’re struggling to even pick up the enthusiasm to plan things when we know theres no point, but we worry that if we lose these cadets, it might be the end for the squadron.

Bronze Cyber, Aircraft Recognition, Web Design, codecademy, multiplayer flight sim sessions,

video production competition, photographic competition, recruitment poster design competition

What’s that?!

online free programming training course. nothing to do with the Air Cadets but a good activity for anyone interested in programming and links well to STEM

I’ve just been looking at Microsoft Mechanics on YouTube. They reckon it’s possible to have two different instances of Teams running on the desktop, by using the app, and by using an app installed into a chromium based Web Browser.

So, being logged onto two meetings is definitely possible - I wonder how practical it would be to supervise two different training sessions, though?? :thinking:

Thanks - yeah, valid point. After experiencing a couple of Virtual Parade Nights I think my original question was possibly a bit overly optimistic - not practical. We’ve gone with sending groups to do an ‘offline’ task instead, which seems to work reasonably well.

1 Like

Bear in mind you can reduce it to one night a week/fortnight/every 3 weeks or whatever suits best. That would still keep them engaged with the ATC without boring them with the classification stuff.

I’d echo the above suggestions, some Sqns appear to be letting people “self study” some parts of first class too. Not sure how I feel about that though…

Self study first class…no…that syllabus needs to be delivered… setting revision/research exercises I’m ok with though.

Leading upwards is all open book exam so let them knock themselves out self studying

3 Likes

I said it before

those Cadets who are flaky are likely to leave/not return the first chance they get - we all have the “deadwood” 2-3 Cadets who are on the verge of leaving - that number may now rise to 4-6 - but in reality they would have left in 12 months time anyway without Covid-19 through natural wastage, either as interest falls off or they reach a school age/employment/dating age where the RAFAC is too much of a distraction

those Cadets who are mad keen on the organisation (for whatever reason, the stability they don’t get elsewhere, the “geeky/nerd appeal” the organisation has to scratch their itch, or just mad keen cos their mad keen) are the ones who will come back in 2 years time if it takes that long and will be utilising every Teams opportunity

then there are those somewhere in the middle. they are likely to return but not likely to get very involved with Teams not missing the organisation enough to use it and happy to take the break.

now I appreciate I have simplified it alot there but for want of a way of explaining it that is how I have broken it up.
I agree it would be interesting to see that stats of Teams use versus retention, but to be meaningful there needed to be a survey of the Cadets attitude prior to the lockdown - a Unit with 50% loss sounds poor in comparison to another with 30% but if the first unit had 30% unhappy anyway, and the first only 5% it paints a different picture

5 Likes

As someone who wears a selection of volunteering/hobby hats i am surprised just how keen the RAFAC is to maintain engagement.

none of my other hobbies, organisations/groups or volunteering avenues are seeking such a continued engagement with its members - the lockdown and suspension has been seen as gospel and the only correspondence i have received is the HQs position following government updates - which is easily summarised as “stay at home, stay safe, we’ll return to business as usual when we can”

2 Likes

I know the Scouts have been doing virtual activities, as are the ACF

There is a lot of that on some units…

Have any sqns got any activities that they are running through teams that are fun and not necessarily towards a course or qualification? Something a little out of the box that a lot of cadets can do? I’m afraid that my training program is too focused on training and some cadets who don’t qualify for every course or lesson we are running or have done them already are losing interest. I cant say I could find an answer in this thread so far because there are so many posts my mind goes numb with all the scrolling. :’)

I’ve seen some squadrons doing sessions on logical reasoning and debate skills. Problem solving escape room style sessions.
My own squadron started doing private War Thunder sessions, initially just for fun but then we started doing air power and formation flying theory with war Thunder practical.

Has anyone used Scratch

Looks like a half decent start at basic coding/programming - similar to the lego technic sets.

Could be used to facilitate competitive ‘design the best…’

1 Like

Cadets were talking about this on a DofE last year, I asked and soon lost interest, as it’s not something that appeals to me. It did seen like anything school related kids has a divided opinion. But it may be useful to put out there.
One of our cadets does stop motion films with lego characters using his mobile, which are quite good and in this day and age probably has the potential to be financially advantageous. Probably not very cadet related for training, but why not put it out there as something different.
There maybe art/technical drawing software which could promote some sort of pictorial design project of some sort.
I get the impression the activities / training people are doing is a little too cadet focussed, whereas something a bit leftfield and just an activity with no related cadet training aspect, could engage more kids currently.

1 Like

I’m not particularly up-to-date with where programming and coding is at the moment within the school curriculum but scratch is a great place to start if you’ve never done any coding, and is an excellent fit for our STEM work.

I’d hope to see cadets progressing quickly from Scratch to python or maybe basic as a more appropriate language for their age group.

The stop-motion films are a great Media activity which can lead into lots of other areas (once we’re allowed out a bit more)

2 Likes

Cool! I agree it looks quite childish (it is aimed at ages 8- 16 apparently) but good to hear about follow up sites available.

I suggested to some of my cadets to use codeacademy to learn the basics of SQL