TA soldier relationship with an 18year old cadet

Hypothetical situation following a conversation with a friend as there’s no real ruling/JSP immediately obvious. A 22 year old serving soldier relationship with an 18year old cadet - what are the implications with this?

I understand it’s legal and acceptable in civilian worlds, but would there be any recourse for the individual inside the TA or the cadet?

Doubt it, unless the soldier was a SI.

I don’t really know though.

As above - without a connection to the corps, this is simply “22y.o. dates 18y.o.”

2 Likes

forgive my ignorance, what’s an SI?

Service Instructor

Also a slightly pedantic point, but the TA hasn’t existed for over 5 years.

2 Likes

General standing orders on any camp I’ve attended are that regular personnel (which would extend to reserve personnel) are not to fraternise with cadets. I’m not sure whether that has support in QRs

That’s more likely just common sense to ensure that no one cops off with a mature looking 15 year old. THAT would be problematic.

1 Like

Two adults having a relationship? Seems fine to me.

In this hypothetical question, is the Army Reservist any kind of helper/instructor with the ATC?

I think that’s more relating to the camp itself, rather than any outside contact.

Which still doesn’t take into account the ongoing Staff Cadet issue of they could be Married!

1 Like

Technically they wouldn’t even need to be a staff cadet.

2 Likes

So on camp bad, off camp fine?

if the guy was an instructor i’d assume that’s a major nono anyway because hes’ in a position of trust? or is that out the window because the cadet/staff cadet whatever is 18+?

Well, legally there’s no issue even if he is a service instructor because a legal “position of trust” does not apply to us; nor would it apply anyway where the cadet is over 18.

There are therefore only two considerations:

1. Corps Policy
  2. Is it morally acceptable?

With regards morals, I can’t honestly say that I’d be personally particularly concerned about a 20 year old dating an 18 year old.

1 Like

Corps policy on the cadet side of things? Or with the service?

@Factotum, no case building - I’m not an instructor. I’m just curious following a discussion with a friend

Be careful with the phrase “position of trust” as it implies a legal situation that would not technically apply. “Position of responsibility” would be more appropriate.

1 Like

Cadets. There’s no reason for the soldier not to date the cadet, any more than there would be for him/her to date someone of a supervisory rank who’s outside of his CoC.

As long as there is no conflict of interest, everything’s legal and there are no security concerns (eg he’s DV and she’s just moved here from Russia) then his CoC won’t (and can’t) care.

16…

Yeah that’s my curiosity satisfied. It all sparked off discussing Prince Andrews alleged incidents and an article in a newspaper.

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated

The army could take action if he was felt to have failed the very open-to-interpretation “service test” whether he had broken any laws or not; however there’s nothing here that anyone would take any issue with (I certainly wouldn’t with any of my sailors).