Swimming Test

What does a cadet do on the ATC Swimming Test? What exactly may it involve?

It’s 2 lengths front crawl, 2 lengths back crawl, tread water for 30 secs in deep water and then climb out of the pool unaided. This is just the basic one.

BASIC SWIMMING COMPETENCE CERTIFICATE FOR AIR CADETS

1. To qualify for this certificate personnel are required to demonstrate Swimming
    Competence as follows:

a. Swim 50 metres without rest, using any recognised single swimming stroke.

b. Remain afloat for 2 minutes in a restricted area of water, with a maximum radius of 2 metres.

c. Exit the pool at a point where the candidate is out of depth without an aid. However, in locations where there is a considerable distance between the water and poolside, as found in some service pools, some assistance may be given at the examiner’s discretion.

1. All elements of the demonstration are to be performed consecutively in the order shown above, in standard swimwear.

INTERMEDIATE SWIMMING COMPETENCE CERTIFICATE FOR AIR CADETS

1. To qualify for this certificate personnel are required to demonstrate Swimming
    Competence as follows:

a. Swim 100 metres - 50 metres of which must be on the back and 50 metres on the front using a recognised swimming stroke.

b. Surface dive to and retrieve an object from the deepest part of the pool.

c. Swim 25 metres to a casualty (conscious weak swimmer) and effect a non- contact tow over 25 metres.

d. Remain afloat for 3 minutes in a restricted area (2 metres) adopting the H.E.L.P
position (see Annex C para. 13).

1. All elements of the demonstration are to be performed consecutively in a tee-shirt (or similar attire) and standard swimwear.

ADVANCED SWIMMING COMPETENCE CERTIFICATE FOR AIR CADETS

Competence as follows:

a. Enter deep water by a straddle jump.

b. Swim continuously 300 metres using recognised swimming strokes; change of strokes to take place every 100 metres.

c. Swim 20 metres to a (conscious) casualty in 20 seconds or less and effect a contact tow over 20 metres and assist the casualty to land.

d. Retrieve an object from the deepest part of the pool and upon surfacing, tow a live casualty 5 metre to safety in deep water. Effect a team lift with assistants (2) to lift the casualty onto the poolside.

e. Swim 50 metres in 60 seconds or less.

1. All elements of the test are to be carried out in clothing (eg. overalls or tee-shirt and trousers) without footwear, and not more than 2 minutes rest is permitted between sections b-e.
1 Like

All I would add to this is that Basic can be assessed by any squadron personnel while Inter and Advanced need a signature from a qualified lifeguard or swimming teacher.

All details are in ACPEDTI005

It is sad that not very many cadets can actually complete the basic test. The last few sessions we’ve run have seen cadets fail. I set this a standard to go canoeing as if they can’t complete this and fall in while canoeing and panic, god knows what sort of mess you could end up in.
Also when you go to sqn swimming competitions, there seems to be an increase in cadets who can’t complete races. Which frankly is IMO due to reckless sqn cdrs forcing cadets to do something they can’t, not only endangering their lives but others.

I wonder if we shouldn’t tie into RLSS personal survival awards and give cadets something tangible, as the advanced looks for all the world like what I did for Bronze Medallion.

2 Likes

it is worth noting ACACTI 001 para7 indicates

1. The Air Cadet Basic Swimming Competence Certificate is the minimum swimming standard for all ACAT Scheme water based activities. However, if a NGB sets a higher standard then this must be followed.

this should be seen as the Corps Standard not just Teflon’s

As you stated, it is already the corps standard.

As I recall from my recent kayaking days, the NGB requirements are less stringent: more like stay afloat with a buoyancy aid and scramble your way to a bank.

My mate who does canoeing with cadets says he feels better knowing they have done the basic swimming test. He takes non ATC people for lessons and says it can be a nightmare if their swimming is a bit weak.

Actually go and read one of the canoeing ACATIs. It shows a lesser requirement to take part in paddlesport than the basic swimming.

OK

ACATI 24 - "SAFETY GUIDELINES AND GENERIC RISK ASSESSMENT FOR CANOEING AND KAYAKING "
Para 2e

All personnel taking part in ACAT water based activities must have passed the Air Cadets Basic Swimming Competency Test. Details at ACP 20B, ACTI No 64.

OK, so it is a little obsolete given the old reference. to 20B. ACATI_Canoe_Kayak required the same at para 3 & 4 but also permits alternatives. I’m not sure para 4d isn’t a typo. Why would it be swim 40m and not 50 (the latter is 2 lengths)

Sorry, I made a typo and forgot a comma which made my post sound harsh.

I meant read the one called “ACATI_Canoe_Kayak”, para 3 says:
“All participants are to have completed the basic swimming competency, the CF swimming test or the CF water safety test”. Paragraph 4 and 5 then explain the latter two. The water safety is wear paddling clothes and a PFD, step into deep water, swim 25m, tread water for a minute and get out with assistance if required.

That pretty much aligns with what I understood of the NGB requirement back when I kayaked.
It would be useful if ACATI24 was updated or deleted as appropriate.

To be perfectly honest, been in the corps (or RAFAC if you prefer) for about 3/4 years and I’ve never seen a single swimming competency test. That being said I’ve competed in several inter-squadron and inter-wing swimming competitions, and also gone canoeing several times and going on a canoeing camp too. I believe I reached 2* credibility then.