Swimming Proficiency

So I have a camp coming up in August which requires a swimming proficiency to be taken, however I have done swimming lessons outside of cadets and achieved stage 8 and was about to move onto a competitive club before lockdown. Would I have to take the proficiency or could I show evidence that I have been able to swim elsewhere?

You could… possibly.
Maybe a sports person can comfirm if possible.

But then why would you not want to take part in the camp activity?

Do you mean you need evidence of swimming proficiency because the camp has on the water activities (like raft building or Paddlesports)?

Yeah.

The camp com will want to see you are proficient in line with RAFAC policy. You could probably get someone from your club to sign that off or they may have it organised as part of the camp to be signed off, worth asking them what they would accept.

Ash @bob1 says. Ask your Sqn staff to ask the camp organiser what proof of swimming ability is needed.

Chances are you won’t be the only one without an ATC swimming proficiency, given lockdown.

Thanks. I’ll email whoever is in charge of the event.

Do it and there is no question. It takes 5-10 minutes and if they are insistent on the need will organise a swimming session, as said it is unlikely you will be the only one.
I’ve had cadets say they can swim the distance and do the other bits and they have failed to do the swim bit, let alone tread water or get out not using steps.

That’s the kind of stuff I had to do in my swimming lessons. I know probably all there is to be taught in the proficiency. Am I allowed to just have a catch up swimming session, for example they could tell me what to do and I could do the stuff I already know? Instead of being taught it all over again.

What level is being asked for - Basic, Intermediate,or advanced?

Basic

The basic is really… well, basic! There is nothing RAFAC specific - it’s really just minimum standard to make sure you don’t drown straight away if you fall in the water.

You’ll need to prove that you can:

Swim 50 Metres continuously in a recognized stroke.
Stay afloat for 2 mins (with a 2 Metre radius).
Pull yourself out of the pool.

We don’t really teach it, as such, just carry out the assessments. If you have the opportunity to do it, then do it (even if you find it easy). There is nothing in our regulations that allow us to take equivalent or higher qualifications and just sign off the basic level - You would need to convince the camp organiser that your qualification is better that the Basic proficiency.

3 Likes