Survey results

Oh I agree with you. Interestingly ROTC and CAP only have uniformed staff.

I seem to recall that CAP adults also pay subscriptions?

Most certainly would draw the line at paying to be a member.

Yes there are benefits to being in uniform we all like.
I wouldnt pay for that privilege!

TBH for the high standard of training, opportunities delivered and everything we do, we should all be salaried. But that’s another topic entirely.

2 Likes

So do some ATC adults :wink:

1 Like

I’ve just had a nose…
Indeed they do - Annual membership dues vary by State from $54 in West Virginia to $82 in Arkansas and California. The individual Squadron’s may also charge a subscription on top.

I wasn’t referring to the individual ribbon awards, but well noticed! I was speaking generally of the idea of ribbons on shirts rather than a brassard with sewn on badges.

They also get uniform allowance.

One need only look at the CAP (given that we’ve mentioned them) to see how that could turn out.
As they progress through the ranks, as well as getting a new rank badge, they get a ribbon. By the time they reach “Cadet Second Lieutenant” they’ve got 10 ribbons, with another 3 available if they make it all the way up.

I mean, it’s not without precedent - their own military do get ribbons for all sorts of things that Britain just considers to be a standard part of the job: Pass basic training - Get a ribbon. Pass an NCO leadership course - Get a ribbon. Achieve the requirements for “combat readiness” - get a ribbon…

Having a cadet with a chest full of ribbons certainly wouldn’t suit the British approach - the brassard full of badges is bad enough.

4 Likes

I agree with you, that’s why I said we would need to scale down what qualifies as a ribbon etc. If you got rid of the brassard then you would have to show achievement somehow and I’d prefer ribbons over seeing badges directly onto shirts or jumpers like the scouts.

Learn how to make a cup of tea - get a ribbon! :roll_eyes:

The genie is out of the lamp with regards to badges, associated stock purchases & mentality from both cadets & (more importantly) above. It’s seen by many as chase the badge, for a numbers game just like the Scouts.

Badges are here to stay.

Indeed, I wasn’t commenting in criticism, but in solidarity.

1 Like

Especially that certain “trades” are pushing for more

I’m a fan of a 4 badge system that has a theory foundation then requires a certain amount of points that can be achieved through the PTS

I.e. first class badge requires the theory plus 30 points and each blue badge for example would be 10 points so would need 3

I like this idea:

Blue could be first class and Full blue syllabus for award.

Bronze could be leading and 2 bronze awards

Silver senior and 1 silver badge

Gold - instructor cadet

There would be different routes for getting the lanyards that would suit the cadets interest.

I’d keep wings sewn on jumpers.

Would look smart and actually be a sense of achievement when a new lanyard is awarded as it would be a step up in classification and in the PTS.

There are probably reasons why this wouldn’t work…

The brassard advertises that we are ATC and the squadron number, but does that matter?

Just trying to think what the objections for getting rid of a brassard would be…

1 Like

And get uniform allowance, ration allowance and travel.

Some nights are a real pain in the getting changed into civvies to be an adult leader with ATC.

That was similar to my thinking:
Classification exams plus x number of ‘badges’ at Blue, Bronze or Silver to earn up to Senior. Master might need to be different given the relatively small number of Gold course places.

1 Like

My bad! Read it wrong. The downside of computer screen communication! :joy:

1 Like

As an ex-CAP 2nd Lt, I can testify this is true - which I found quite odd.

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/join/membership-dues

1 Like

I created a similar points based system towards my NCO promotion process.

1 Like

I see how this reduces PTS badges, but how do you display this if binning the brassard altogether?

I think that the brassards look gash now with so many badges and the multitude permutations. It’s almost as bad as the some of the school blazer lapels I can recall our kids and many others having. Mind you they were proper badges not the poxy cloth things we have., that look rubbish and make the brassard look tatty if they have to be moved. I’m not convinced anyone who comes up the ‘designs’ has ever actually tried to sew the badges onto a brassard and keep it looking decent.

Going back pre-brassard, you only ever wore identifiers, rank, classification, marksman (one of two, plus Cadet 100), FS, GS instrument (if you were in a band) and DofE, all on the BD sleeve and chest. It showed what you did/achieved but not OTT, the majority would have only had classification, rank and maybe a marksman we had no bruhaha over not getting or having them and it was like this for years. There are too many cadets doing things just so they can get a badge, which is back to front and too many staff asking why they haven’t got badges. It’s the thin edge of the wedge when acquiring badges becomes an important than just doing things.