Survey results

I think you’ll find most people here are not saying that they volunteer to receive a CFM, but rather that they find it unfair that CIs are not allowed to use any of their time accrued as staff towards eligibility.

My friend applied for his CFM in 2008 IIRC, but was knocked back.

He received it in 2014 ish. Then left the organisation (unconnected to medals) shortly after.

Yes, thank you for saying this.

As a CI of many years and a recent commission, it does seem like (online at least) I am some kind of Walt!

Why did I go into uniform, I could do everything as a CI?

Why would you want a CFM (the only medal I’ll ever be able to pin on my uniform as I have no military service!) - I must be a massive Walt!

CI’s always moan they are treated as second class, in my time as a CI I never felt like this, mainly because the squadron, sector and majority of wing staff are decent human beings.

Now I’m in a blue suit do I do anything differently? No, other than being a little more formal with cadets. But there are lots of reasons, both for cadets and for MY OWN satisfaction (shock horror!) that I wanted to go into uniform.

2 Likes

I realise that :slight_smile: but there was a comment made earlier about people who are uniformed so that they can get a medal.

There are several distinct, but related, points made about CFMs

1 Like

and except chaplains and registered civcom :wink:

On that note, do ACF Chaplains get a CFM as they’re uniformed?

1 Like

Ah yes, I still really think of chaplains as ‘CIs with a different name’.
Registered CivCom… Are they CFAV? I’m not sure. It’s a terrible idea anyway. :wink:

Hmmm…
I don’t know, but I suspect not.

1 Like

Hmmm. I’m trying to remember when the regulations were changed to state that service as a CI doesn’t count as a break. It was a fair few years ago now, but his original application might have been borderline.

1 Like

As i’ve whined about elsewhere, CFAV isn’t really defined. But yes, in reality they are.

Back to the survey results then :wink:

What else was of interest?

The use of the author’s postnominals…grabs popcorn

6 Likes

I disagree, for me it shows they are a qualified professional. Why not show it off. I know lots of CFAVs who list their post nominals on their emails.

From the Valuing our volunteers page, it seems RAFAC placed importance on this as from my reading they didn’t want a survey doing by anyone but a Psychologist , the career area that also do the tri-service regular/reserve attitude survey. Good they want a professional rather than some of the awful RAFAC surveys I’ve seen!

2 Likes

A lot wasn’t a surprise to be honest.

I think the relationship with others bit was interesting. Particularly the bit around favouritism and cliques.

I also found it fascinating that Scot&NI are doing better in some of the areas in relation to wing/region staff and being known and relationships etc

You’d think as they have a bigger geographical reason they be worse. My region staff are never to be seen. Wing staff only come to Sqn for inspections too which is a shame as it would be nice for them to check in every now and again

I think the comment was in relation to everything in this thread starting from this post: Email Signatures

I agree though, in a professional report it is acceptable to put post-nominals

Ah, not seen that thread. Interesting to flick through thanks for sharing.

I do find it interesting about what to include. It’s a balance. I personally don’t have my degree post nominal because I don’t feel my degree is relevant or particularly impressive. But if I had say an MBA I might include it. It does depend on who I’m emailing though. I’ve seen some list everything which is a bit excessive. I guess for emails it depends how proud people are of their qualifications too!

However I’m incredibly nosy so actually take interest in seeing what people have as their qualifications. For me, when people have a degree in their Sig I want to know what their BA or whatever is in (but obviously would be weird to include).

1 Like

I don’t even know who my TEST Officer is at the moment, or if we even have one.

I agree the postnoms were appropriate in this report, was just trying to get a few good natured bites.

1 Like

Ha ok it’s been a long week :joy:

What did you actually find interesting?

ACF chaplains are commissioned. Someone I know is a chaplain, and commissioned as a Captain.

Though is it an actual commission or an honorary rank?

If it is a commission then I guess they would be eligible.

Couldn’t tell you, although he did wear uniform. He also saluted me at remembrance once - I was a FS at the time

What was to you?

Hm I would say could plead ignorance about RAF ranks but a FSgt rank slide isn’t much different from a colour/staff Sgt! Unless you weren’t in uniform and they were just hedging their bets that you were at least a Sqn Ldr so to be saluted!

Edit. Out of curiosity in the regs don’t chaplains automatically go in as Flt Lts like Drs.? I didn’t realise padres in RAFAC had honourary ranks. Although a Sqn Ldr (I think I read this right) for a Sqn padre seems a bit steep?