Survey results

Damn they’re onto us!

Just because I’m planning to wear No5 more often than No1 & No2 combined doesn’t make me a bad person!

2 Likes

We all know some jobs-worthy WOs who make this difficult tho…

It’s only difficult if you bother to engage in the discussion. :grin:

5 Likes

Even reduced it sounds better. 6 hours a month sounds infinitely more doable than 12, even as I said most people already do way more than 12.

2 Likes

‘…fascinating, call my people…’ :+1:

4 Likes

strokes stubble, puts sunnies & gaffer tape patched jacket on, wheelies off on MTB / paddles away on paddleboard

1 Like

I did think that, but then I have 4 years of cadet service that counts towards my CFM eligibility. As far as I remember, there was no minimum monthly hours stipulated back then - In theory (although very, very unlikely), I could have booked 4 years of LOA, and as long as I’d paid my subs, and the boss was happy, I’d have been golden.

If cadet service counts, I can’t think of any compelling reasons not to allow CI service to count for a similar period

1 Like

Although for us, the only reason that cadet service over 18 counts is to keep all the CF equivalent. SCC being CFAV at 18.
Whilst I don’t disagree that “service” as an 18 year old cadet is not greater than that of a CI, ultimately any change to CI eligibility would have to come from well above HQAC.

That’s true, but if HQAC vocally pushed it, and explained why, why would anyone else be opposed?

Why would anyone else give a mouse sized poo enough to oppose it?

Does it?? I never knew that!

Edit: guessing it has to be continuous or near continuous so I’m out due to uni and paperwork taking years

Out of interest how many units, Wings etc are actively monitoring the 12 hour requirement?

I know there are months I don’t manage it due to work, and have never been challenged, likewise many others I know who have the same issues.

If anyone did challenge me over it seriously then I would be asking them if they did not have something better and more productive for the organisation to be doing.

Time we dropped or seriously reviewed the 12 hour bit.

Might not be able to be fixed but above sqn it should be recognised and accepted.

I don’t think it’s just time poor. The SNCO on the sqn at 29 has had 5 jobs through redundancy and ‘being let go’ (the latter was to avoid paying them anything) which is more than I’ve had in nearly 40 years. I’m amazed they’ve kept going and doing as much as they have been. They have certainly had some dark moments and long heart to hearts with me over the years and I’ve kept wing away from them, otherwise I’m certain they’d have gone.

This is something we are likely to see more and more of, people in and out of jobs over the next few years, so while not ‘time poor’ people may be more cautious and less willing or able to commit to something so readily, as they don’t want to give anyone reason to bin them or their work pattern doesn’t allow it. On that note having staff in the past that have worked for large retail concerns, they seem unable to plan working rotas more than a week or two in advance, for some reason.

But time as a cadet isn’t counted for the CFM if broken by a period of CI-ness before going back into uniform. Giving an uniformed option during that stage like the other cadet forces do would help there

I wouldn’t have though so!

Off the top of my head -

A break of less than 6 months means your service will be classed as continuous, and the 6 months will count towards your reckonable service.

A break of between 6 and 36 months will be class as continuous, but the time will not count as reckonable.

So you should be ok!

Are people that bothered about a gong? Says it all.

Yep. Or even just allowing CI service to count!

A slightly older friend of mine (about a year) left as a CWO at 22, did a year as a CI, then commissioned. I left at 22, had a break of 3 months waiting for my board, the commisioned. I got my CFM about 5 years before he did. That isn’t right or fair.

1 Like

4 years at uni then I had been a CI for about 4 years.

I really do disagree that cadet service should count (regardless of whether or not I’m eligible).

Oh do bore off. I know nuance is lost on you. It is a small factor for some people, especially in terms of difference in recognition between different types of staff/staff cadet service

5 Likes

The survey based on several thousand CFAVs suggests so.

There will of course be some who aren’t fussed though.

1 Like

It doesn’t bother me in and of itself, but I won’t pretend that it doesn’t niggle when someone who contributes less than me gets a medal ceremony and a grip and grin, but I don’t because I don’t wear a uniform…

I far prefer the idea of Coins - where W/R HQ’s, and HQAC give tokens of appreciation for specific efforts and achievements - that however would require those formations to have an idea about what was going on outside their doors…

I once got a beautifully hand-written letter from a Lt General thanking me for a particular piece of work, and it was clear that he actually understood what he was thanking me for - that meant, I promise you, far more than a ‘oh, you were here on X date, here’s a medal…’. medal.

4 Likes