Subs for over 18 Cadets

With the new over 18 staff cadet agreement, where cadets are more staff than cadet what are peoples thoughts on how staff cadets pay for continuing their cadet careers.

I had a meeting this week with my CivCom where I put forward that over 18’s should not pay subs at all. This was on the basis that:

• Cadets are effectively CI’s in uniform, by fulfilling staff duties - in fact they will often be more qualified
  • Numbers will be limited by the new selection criteria, limiting any financial impact
  • The expectation to ‘give back’ is increased as we have removed the element of them paying to help

The agreement reached was that we will reduce their subs to the Wing/Region/HQAC levy only. And both myself and the chair will put forward to our respective managers that all charges should be removed.

The question extends to camps etc. If a staff cadet is attending an activity as DS (with qualifications to use) should they have to pay to attend? Given we often seem to have uniformed staff attending for free, adding no value and claiming pay this seems grossly unfair.

Thoughts appreciated…

2 Likes

I have always gone down the route that if a Staff cadet is coming to Camp as Staff they don’t pay, however the pay off for that is if they do something that the staff pay for (So a theme park for example) then they have to pay for that as all of the staff would.

As for Subs I get where you are coming from, however the only issue is if the cadets get subsidised to do activities as a staff cadet would you still give them that if they are no longer paying Subs.

I agree.

I paid subs until I was 21 and 51 weeks by which time I was more staff than any staff cadet today ever would be in their wildest imaginings. I got the same things as the other cadets did, so paying subs wasn’t a problem.

I’ve been waiting for staff to be expected to pay subs. Everyone I know involved in teams and other groups pay subs or something and some registration fees.

Cadets should be charged subs by the squadron for as long as the squadron is charged a subscription for them by HQAC.

which is what has been suggested…

…the difference here is the Sqn is not charging their subs

That is their decision. We wouldn’t charge subs at all if we didn’t need to.

1 Like