Strategic Footprint

Nothing about that case. But I understand my wing are looking at merging 2 units soon.
Reduce costs and improving staffing is the mantra.

Guess itā€™s no different to the super Sqn they made just prior to the pandemic.

A little different, but @Threaders was involved in that.

Itā€™s true, I was involved.

We had 3 units merge into 1 new unit - 388 Sqn, in a new building purpose built.

Well I doubt any new mergers will get a new building, but then again any closures will also cost in any case.

Howā€™s that going?

1 Like

Was fine up to a year agoā€¦

Having awesome facilities and kit, particularly in AT, is no use if you canā€™t use themā€¦

7 Likes

How so?

Land sold is money in the bank! Either to RFCA or the MOD.

I find it little coincidence that over the next few years all the RFCAs are being merged into one organisation and reformatted.

My best guess is after this has happened we will see a large wave of site sell offs to generate cash which can be then spent Nationally on their estate rather than just regionally.

The plot of land our Sqn was valued at half mil.

Shame the squadron owns the land! Although we are open to selling it for rfca to provide a larger building for usā€¦ And pigs so fly sometimes

2 Likes

Easy.

ACPs relating to civ coms are very clear on this.

Your Wing HQ close your Sqn down.
All assets and monies are then to be disbursed after costs to other local Sqns or the Corps generally.

However the cake is cut in this org, it isnt us (Sqns and volunteers) who get the biggest slice!

1 Like

Mehā€¦

Just want a bigger Sqn lol so clutching at straws here

1 Like

Cant tell you the number of times I (and I would guess most OCs) have played ā€˜fantasy Sqnā€™.

Worked out I need about 4 acres and Ā£2mil for it.

Iā€™d requisition EGHH and have the mother of all. Super Sqns with its own aef

2 Likes

Our squadron HQ had served us well for over half a century. The local ACF had been on a separate site for over half a century. (I know because at some point the ATC and ACF switched HQs so the ACF could be on the local TA site). Once the TA closed down, the land was sold for a business park and housing, but they retained a small plot for the ACF.

A few years ago our squadron HQ was sold and we were moved onto the ACF site. Had they sold the ACF site, it could have been used for housing. Our site was on a corner of a park and the local council would have preferred nothing was there but grass - they certainly wouldnā€™t have approved housing (and, indeed, didnā€™t - just a change of use for the existing buildings). Iā€™m convinced they could have got more by selling the ACF site and moving them in with the ATC, so while I understand there is a business case for estate rationalisation, the execution of it does sometimes leave me a little confused.

That said, while our new building was half the size, it was still a new building and a darn sight easier for us to look after - which I have appreciated all the more since becoming adj!

I dread to think what the value of the land of the majority of the Sqauadrons in my Wing would be of sold on the open marketā€¦

Indeed. Most Sqns are basicslly gold mines for land value.

Itā€™s going to happen. Mark my words.
It will all be worked out and the rationalisation planned.
even if every town gets its cadet units centralised into 1 building in a massive construction scheme across the whole country. There would be millions saved.

From memory there are approx 400 single site ATC buildings and 300 single site acf.

Even if only 200 of each were merged.

Thatā€™s 200 plots of land cashed in.
200 sites not needing running or maintenance costs.

Or of course they might close both sites in a town and relocate to an out of town brownfield or cheap land site.
Then itā€™s x2 sites sold.

Ā£Ā£Ā£Ā£Ā£Ā£Ā£Ā£Ā£Ā£.

Either way, I would bet anyone what we think of as the ā€˜cadet estateā€™ today wont be much like this in 10 to 15 years time.

1 Like