Storage of Photographs

isn’t that one function of the SMS? All personnel records stored on a secure MOD server, and then archived just in case it’s needed?

how long are permissions held on it ?

I wouldn’t say I’m on it and i left in 2007. By having a excel document done by year it’s a backside covering exercise for the future is it not ? unlike photo’s from the 50’s etc we would have documents stating that we had Cdt Bloggs in 2015-19 and photographic consent from the Cdt and Parents

I’d assume that the bader archive will be in line with the 3822A/staff file retention policy at the time?

IIRC, we used to need hold onto the information for 7 years after cadets reach 18. Then we could destroy it. Now, we hold onto it for longer in case of historic sex abuse claims, but the information is more secure.

Creating spreadsheets runs foul of the RAFAC policy on data protection, especially if you add contact details, addresses etc.

Before GDPR, was the onus on the cadet to prove they had withdrawn consent for photos, or was it on the organisation to prove they had? Was photographic consent even law in 2007?

Just as a point of technicality…

The 3822A doesn’t ask for consent to take photos… It asks for consent to use the cadet’s image to “promote the ATC”.

A parent could withhold permission for Little Johnny’s photo to be used on a public website/leaflet/advertising campaign/&c but that would not prevent the cadet from appearing in a camp/course/general ‘internal sqn use’ photo.

If a parent is withholding consent then, as has been said above, I consider it important to understand why as that very well MIGHT affect the taking of general photos.
Or it might just be that they don’t want Johnny in a magazine.

3 years after the persons 21st birthday is the requirement. Most companies/organisations keep them an extra year or 2 to be safe.

It’s to do with any claims being made.
A young person will not be legally “fully” developed until their 21st birthday. They then have 3 years in which to make a claim against someone.

We have had to do it for any “young person” we employed and the same for my friend who is a football coach.

The clock starts ticking at 18, not 21. Though they can apply to extend it

As I said consent or not, we have no control over what other people take and use in terms photos, films etc and where and how they use them. So having consent or not is a moot point. I have explained this to social workers when we have had LAC join. All I have said is we won’t take photos with them in.

As for storage we have a 1TB external drive as I cannot ever see a time when anyone could want to look at or use a photo of cadets when they aren’t at the sqn, so no to online storage.