Storage of Photographs

True. I did say the main reason I’d come across. I understand what you’re saying but the arm band would be a big flag to the other cadets

So the other half of my question . . .

How are squadrons storing photos?
My inclination is to pay for a Flickr Pro account or something like that and store all the photos on there. This becomes multi use:
a) photo album hosting for a squadron website.
b) cloud storage so no faffing with NAS’s on sqn and able to access them from anywhere.

Thoughts?

Don’t you then need a separate photo consent form as whilst parents have consented for use by MOD & ATC they haven’t consented to Flickr. I’ve got an idea that theres a similar issue with Dropbox.

If I remember from MCO course, you just move the photos into a folder called archive and as long as they are collated you are fine.

Now with GDPR if you name all the photos in a set format, put them in a single cloud folder and then just have a word document listing all the photo names (maybe a briefed description), signed by the CO stating “I confirm that for the photos listed below, relevant consent had been obtained at the time the photo was taken”.

Job Done & archived. Also covers the history of when people move on and other documents have been destroyed.

So i read through the Flickr (now owned by SmugMug) terms and conditions, and the account holder keeps all rights etc etc to the photos with agreement for Flickr to use them for purposes of displaying them within flickr and thats basically it.
The consent that is given is just “for ATC use” so I see it as if we see fit to give them to Flickr for storage, or the local print shop to print a recruitment banner then thats our prerogative.

Whats one of those? XD never seen one advertised around my way. Actually thats a lie, there was one time.

MCO is Media & Comms Officer and seems to be people who are far too excitable, who do a course and have loads of ideas, that don’t happen. The main reasons, money and boredom with the role, many of the things require money which isn’t there (think of the ATCs attempts) and as I say boredom with the role.

As for storage of photos, whatever we say or do, is immaterial as we have no control whatsoever over parents, relatives, ‘joe public’ etc. The opt out is interesting when you are on a parade, community event etc and people take a photo or video and it gets in the paper, SM, website et al. Every time a parent or cadets says no to a photo consent, I tell them the reality, which is effectively we won’t but have no control over other people.

Although I didn’t have this in mind, I recall writing last year when GDPR was fresh that the law allows individuals from the age of 13 to give consent. So actually, parents are left in an awkward position on this. Under the age of legal accountability yet old enough to control their personal data …

You need to have a real discussion about why a cadet can’t be photographed.

We had a cadet who was not allowed to photographed but it was not due to personal preferences but because a court order was in place that their picture could not end up online or published. After discussion with the relevant people what we did was take them out of any pictures but then we took 1 picture with them in it and then gave it to their guardian so that the cadet had something to look back on as they grow older. The original picture was then deleted.

The cadet still keeps in touch with staff who helped them and they ended up with a scrap book and still looks back on her cadet days with happiness in a very sad and bleak time in their life.

Back on the original topic…
I’m sure it’s the photographer who holds the copyright so it’s up to them UNLESS HQAC get a pic and they claim copyright I’m sure, so what happens then?

Funny you should mention that…

1 Like

Yes, unless they are being employed as a photographer in which case the employer owns the copyright. I am sure I once read that the subject in a photo also holds some rights over it but I cannot find a reference now. Things will differ between private and commercial use of images.

Does this mean photos on social media should be taken down after 2 years? Or does that count as archive, as it’s date stamped…

I think someone needs to ask the question…

But who to ask it of? I don’t believe the authors of ACP50 are necessarily SMEs.

1 Like

I would consider those published photos so (and I’m really no expert, but that’s never stopped me before) I would assume they are then in the public domain so are allowed to stay up, unless someone requests they are taken down you are fine.

It would probably come under Crown Copyright if taken by an ATC staff member on duty.

Re the 2 year issue, I routinely give senior cadets photo albums when they leave, I therefore have to keep the photos for more than 2 years. If everyone destroyed their photos after 2 years we stand to start losing a lot of history!

If that member of staff would be counted as “an officer or servant of the Crown in the course of his duties”. As volunteers, I would dispute whether that is necessarily the case in all circumstances. If formally engaged (ie, employed) as a photographer, then sure; but in other circumstances?

Especially true now given the removal of the VR(T) commission. Does a CFC confer the ‘Officer of the Crown’ in the same way?

I know if you enter into the photo comp becomes crown copyright. Which I think is a bit unfair

The author of ACP 50 is head of MC for the Corps and she is very much so a SME.

A secure way to store archive photos would be either on disks (which would end up taking a lot of space up or external hard drive in theory you could add to it as you go or every year you could download and archive all of your images. I would then be storing this in a secure fireproof lock box as it will be secured and if there is a fire you will still have access to it. You could even scan your archived photographs from yesteryear to secure them as well.

As mentioned you could keep an electronic list of cadet permissions for the photo’s / video’s.

Just a reminder that SME stands for Subject Matter Expert, not just somebody who happens to do the job.

1 Like

I stand by my comment. It’s not my place to name her (anyone with sharepoint can find her), but she knows what she’s talking about.