STEM activities

Has anyone tried any of the STEM things on Sharepoint?
If so how much did it cost for the bits, including tools etc?
Where did people get it all from?
Do they work in the suggested timeframes or do they constitute longer projects to get a decent result?
Did they hold the interest?
What is the best size group?

I’ve looked at them and they seem a bit too school-like.
The only two that seem reasonable is the rollercoaster and bicarb and vinegar rocket.
The tube it suggests for the rollercoaster seems to be pipe insulation, but I’m not convinced. To get anything decent would need a several metre run, but as Screwfix only do 1m lengths and I know from experience it is a real git to join and bend. I would say PEX would be better. But the problem is where do you keep all this stuff?
The rocket is easy to do, but it is what it is. Mind you the YT clip had an associated one for a sugar and potassium nitrate rocket that looked like it should get the cadet’s interest.

Just looking through all of it, the changing states one seems like it may be the easiest - best example of a non-newtonian fluid is corn flour or custard (look up the brainiac video on youtube - they manage to get someone to walk on custard).

Otherwise they do look simple but the point is that they’re all an intro (maybe a bit like one of the more fun science lessons in school).

We did the rollercoaster, the heatshield for chocolate, used spaghetti and marshmallows to make a tower, used newspapers to make a bridge that takes a load.

Not expensive, relatively easy and all well received by cadets. Sorry to disappoint you and tell you that it worked :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I was asking if people had tried them, as I don’t want to spend money on stuff that using the sheet takes less than an hour, but then takes a couple of hours and doesn’t work as expected.

It’s not a disappointment and I don’t doubt it works but getting the insulation to bend into loops like it suggests and keep it in the form is interesting me, as my experience using for DIY is by virtue of the material and thickness you would need a several metre run and joining it won’t be easy. Hence looking at PEX which you can get in decent lengths and no faff.

The best non Newtonian fluid experiment was on QI when they put the cornflower mix it on a speaker, I remember watching the Brainiac one.

STEM is Great:-
I have engaged with my local RAF STEM team ( their main job is to go round schools and do STEM) but during their evenings, and summer hols they have been to my place 3 times.
They are happy with supplies of tea and biscuits.
We have done parachutes, Gliders and rockets. All thee sessions were well received by our teenagers.
Suggest you try to contact your local RAF Careers to see what’s near you…

This is STEM. Much more relevant and engaging than plastic mechano, paper darts and play doh. https://www.facebook.com/flitetest/videos/919750758594446

1 Like

That’s awesome…

Just need some expertise on unit to make that happen!

Expertise is all ready there to do similarly exciting stuff.