Staff Training in 2022

So lets take a nice hypothetical situation. You’re suddenly lucky enough to have some new adults who want to join as staff! Awesome, so what’s next?

We get a DBS, BPSS, and now they can attend each night. So how do you ‘train’ them? Is there any proper staff training help available that’s not just AVIP?

It looks like I will soon be in the lucky position of having a couple of new CIs, assuming they don’t get turned off by the paperwork they need to do. But I am honestly a bit clueless about the best way to integrate them into the unit. Normally new staff are ex-cadets, or at least ex-forces, so already have good knowledge of certain areas, and can be put straight to work. This is not the case. This will be a couple of people with no military or cadet background who are just keen to help!

3 Likes

Sit in on First Class and Blue Badge training, give them a decent grounding.

Tick off everything they need as part of mandatory training.

See what they enjoy and take it from there.

6 Likes

My view would be to get them on a variety of activities as soon as possible - get them engaged in the ‘fun’ stuff first so they can see the best aspects.

As for Sqn stuff, I’d say definitely have a conversatio with them to see where they think their skills and interests lie. Some people might be terrified at teaching a class, but would be perfectly happy smashing out some admin. Work to their strengths and carve out some time to train them on what they want to do; not necessarily what you need them to do initially. The need stuff can come when they are properly engaged.

6 Likes

Close the sqn to cadets for a night a month, and allow focused training on procedures, how to’s, etc.

8 Likes

Lol.
In my experience, these 2 examples are rarer than the usual being parental helpers, or speculative appraches from civvies.

2 Likes

We’re rare, every single member of staff (current count is 7) is either ex-cadet, ex-forces, or both.

3 Likes

I thought this was the norm!

1 Like

Definitely the norm around us. Very few staff that aren’t ex-cadets.

2 Likes

This is one of the main shortcomings of joining as a CFAV with no prior cadet, military or aviation experience. Yes, you can get them to sit in on first class syllabus lessons, but it may put some older CIs off. Besides, it’s not formal enough. How are the CFAVs assessed?

Formal CI training needs to be completed and signed off at wing and region level. I’ve been saying this for a long time. This is why some squadrons have several CIs, but still remain ‘understaffed’.

CFAV only courses held over a number of weekends that, on successful completion, qualify the CI to teach the classification syllabus up to first class should be the minimum.

Prospective SNCOs should be trained to teach to leading/senior cadet in all subjects, and acting pilot officers should have additional AT, DoE or shooting qualifications, etc before they can be considered for promotion.

2 Likes

Does it need to be formal? Do they need to be assessed?

1 Like

Uniformed staff aren’t, so why should CIs?

4 Likes

Are they not?
OASC, SSIC, SCC…

Assessed in being an officer / SNCO, not on their understanding of a topic or their ability to teach it.

And, I would argue that none of those are rigourous assessments. They are attendance courses at best that just tick a box.

3 Likes

Oh I do agree.

Wasn’t so much the they must be assessed on what to teach, although I’m sure stuff like DI, SAAI etc is. More there is a little more formalised routes to officer and NCO positions. So more centralised training is given.

2 Likes

I saw a wing once did training courses for roles.

There was a course, where you learned over the weekend the things that an Adj needs to do, the forms, procedures.

A course for the sqn training officer. How to make a training plan, what forms, procedures, etc…

Would be useful stuff to learn. I never had an formalised training when I took on those two roles and gleefully bumbling from problem to problem, firefighting, rather than planning what’s coming round the corner. Would have allowed me to be a bit more proactive in the sqn management and future output, than reactive.

6 Likes

The challenge is designing something that is useful but which is not seen as jumping through (more) hoops. Or applying overly rigid rules (as can happen already on the promotion matricies)

I think the other cadet forces have a more structured system, maybe someone with more direct experience can post more info?

1 Like

What we really need are dedicated staff training teams at Wing level, whose primary volunteer role is to run several staff training weekends throughout the year… Much like the ACF do, we could deliver proper staff induction training. Get them in, get them trained in the basics, get them boarded and recommended for appointment all in one weekend. Then offer follow-on courses to further train in specific areas.

Then we need just need sufficient volunteers to make the courses viable :confused:

But in the interim, I’d echo what others have said - The first class subjects are (or should be) an absolute must know for any CFAV. Beyond that, it’ll depend on what their areas of interest are.

But my other question would be “why do they need to be CI?”
As an organization, we need to get away from the mindset that ‘new staff’ equals ‘new CIs’ every time.
If they have specific reasons for CI service then fine, but if they’re keen to get involved in every aspect of our uniformed youth organization then let’s get them straight into uniform.

2 Likes

Personally I think that could be a Region Team, delivering training to a Wing a month and rotate round.
It does have it’s down sides in that it means more travel for those delivering training, but the benefit is that the Team is delivering training more regularly, to a wider audience, and helps spread best practice and ideas (if the team is receptive to sharing good ideas).

I too see the logic to that. Although, Region have tried running both Mod 4 / 5 weekends, AVIP, and pre-staff training previously and it doesn’t seem to have been particularly sucessful.

Although, a Region course might make more sense for limited candidates to pool together on a course; I think the benefit of being in a closer location for all concerned, and the interaction with other people in the Wing might tip the balance.

1 Like

Around our way they’re not permitted to go straight into uniform unless they’ve just completed cadet service (usually at rank of CWO).

1 Like