Staff Popularity Award

We had our Dining In night last Sat

Unknown to the rest of the staff the Chairman of the civilian committee presented an award for the most effective and popular member of staff as judged by the cadets. Apparently he had been using his son who is a FS to organise the poll.

This raised some eyebrows as it was considered by some people present that cadets should never be allowed to vote in what was a popularity contest for staff members. Indeed it has already caused some bad and divisive feelings.

Has anyone else ever had the experience of this sort of thing happening in other squadrons?

[quote=“belgarion” post=15744]We had our Dining In night last Sat

Unknown to the rest of the staff the Chairman of the civilian committee presented an award for the most effective and popular member of staff as judged by the cadets. Apparently he had been using his son who is a FS to organise the poll.

This raised some eyebrows as it was considered by some people present that cadets should never be allowed to vote in what was a popularity contest for staff members. Indeed it has already caused some bad and divisive feelings.

Has anyone else ever had the experience of this sort of thing happening in other squadrons?[/quote]

Never to let the most popular person know who they are. We would just let them work it out themselves from whoever got off lightest in the annual Sod’s Opera.

The only thing worse than being sent up in a sod’s opera is to NOT be sent up in a sod’s opera… :wink:

I just go by ACC Karma :wink:

Sounds like someone is jealous that they didn’t win :wink:

In all seriousness, bad and divisive feelings amongst who? We don’t do a popularity contest. I’m the OC, if I don’t lose I’m doing something wrong.

have suggested a “Cadet’s Choice Award” which is awarded to whoever the Cadets feels is worthy, be it a Cadet, NCO, Staff member or other. we have the “Presidents Award” for the exact same reason, and is very well regarded given what it has recognised in the past, but i think it would be nice to see what the Cadets appreciate, be it Little Johnny who has struggled throughout his first class training but has done so with a smile and enthusiasm, or the Sqn CO for organising a foreign trip but has yet to get anywhere

I would argue that this is wholly inappropriate as a concept.

The staff aren’t there to be popular with the cadets - we often have to make difficult decisions which upset people under challenging circumstances. It isn’t a popularity contest. If my Chair went behind my back and did something like this, I would be absolutely furious and I would be having a serious one-way discussion with him/her about it. Depending on the outcome of that, I would possibly look to take it further as required.

Unless I won it of course :wink:

Just kidding, I wouldn’t be happy.

I know of two Squadrons who do. Similar to the “cadets award to the staff”. For reasons that are never disclosed to the staff, just a “thanks, and well done”.

Seems to be something of trend among CWCs to cut their own furrow and do thing behind the OC’s back. Over the years I’ve had the CWC present a list of activities generated by the sons of 3 CWC members, things organised that I’m unaware of until someone says thank you for xxx see you there, cadet’s party the same weekend that we had posted DofE expeds, so this does not surprise me in the slightest.

As said if the OC got it, then they’re doing something wrong.

[quote=“xab” post=15759]Unless I won it of course ;)[/quote]No danger of that I think.

No, I’ve never seen anything like that.
I know I’m their favourite staff member, I don’t need to instigate a poll :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, I’d be a bit miffed at the CivCom Chair for inventing an award, but for me that’s mainly because I don’t have a lot of time for my CivCom - because they don’t do ANYTHING to raise funds.

As a concept, I couldn’t care.
My cadet NCOs present a few paper plates, sometimes they have one or two for staff. If they came up with a “most popular staff member” award I’m not going to get bent out of shape on the grounds that it’s not a popularity contest.

Being an effective OC, or in my case FS Discip, and being popular amongst the cadets aren’t mutually exclusive ideas.

I don’t look for popularity. I set my ground rules. I’m a bit of a stickler for things being done properly. They all know that when I’ve got my serious head on I’m being serious. But the idea that if I’m doing it right I should be disliked is ludicrous. I like to hope that I’m approachable and can be light hearted when it’s appropriate.

The same goes for OC.
Sure, sometimes you have to make decisions that some cadets won’t like but that doesn’t mean they should all dislike you personally.

Wot he said :slight_smile: