Staff member doesn’t allow females to wear slacks

When I first joined our OC did now allow females to wear slacks (trousers) at all unless it was for band. We now have a new OC who seems to have no issue with it however there is one staff member who doesn’t allow females to wear slacks usually on parade in a squad which isn’t band.
Does anywhere state this is not allowed or is it wrong for the staff member to disallow it?

Sounds like someone is taking uniform = uniformity too literally.

They should wind it in. If a cadet wants to wear slacks (or male pattern trousers) they can.

Plenty of regulars now in female pattern No 1s with trousers over Remembrance weekend.

3 Likes

Accidently mention it to the WWO they will sort.

Skirt or slacks is a personal choice, both permissable in the dress regs. The only caveat is Ceremonial occasions may have prescribed dress

5 Likes

It’s a personal choice as to whether you wear a skirt, trousers or slacks, unless requested for ceremonial purposes (such as band or at D&C camp).
And that applies to all genders!

1 Like

Says the WWO :smiley:

5 Likes

Cadets say the best things sometimes…

4 Likes

Slacks or male trousers can be worn by females as said above. Stuff like this really irritates me, the rules are very clear that say females can wear trousers. It’s the 21st century and we have to be inclusive as an organisation. Now it could be that the staff is not up to date on the regs.
If you don’t know your Wing Warrant Officer email address, ping me a message with your Wing and I can tell you.

1 Like

As I understand it, in line with the dress policy of our parent service, a female can actualy wear any male uniform item shoes, shirts, trousers etc as well as those specific items for females, and remember that females would be entitled to maternity wear as well.

Telling a Female she cant wear Slacks or trousers would most likely find the staff member in a little hot water with the powers that be these days

1 Like

Also, I’ve recently told the female cadets to wear slacks for visits, as they will be climbing up into aircraft.

However, back on unit… Personal choice. As long as they wear it as per the regs. I’d pass it up the chain/WWO.

4 Likes

We also have a trans cadet on our sqn who hasn’t exactly come out to everyone and had to request to wear male uniform. Apparently it had to go through approval.

It really shouldn’t. That’s a shame to hear to be honest. I don’t mind what a cadet wears. If it’s uniform, and its been ironed properly etc etc then happy days. If a cadet wants to wear a skirt/trousers/slacks then it shouldn’t really matter whether they are female/male/other. What ever they are most comfortable in is what they can wear!

2 Likes

Nope…no official approval required…some stores will even reissue in the gender they now identify as.

5 Likes

Sorry that makes my blood boil.

After all the work people from the Cmdt down have been doing on diversity, and all the publicity around trans issues generally.

Hopefully it got sorted and the cadet is able to participate in the uniform they are comfortable with.

7 Likes

Like wise…i would be signposting that cadet to the regional aspire contact

3 Likes

Never mind these days I would have thought objecting over trousers would have landed staff in hot water 20+ years ago.

2 Likes

If the CO has no issue with it tell the other member of staff who has to wind his neck in. That individual is obviously being a throbber!

4 Likes

My bold but interestingly in my experience it’s female staff who are often more militant /not wanting to change.

I have had times as a (Male) Sqn Cdr feeling a bit piggy in the middle between what’s in the regs and how my female staff interpret them often over bits that I’m really not bothered over.

2 Likes

I noticed the same when ponytails came in. It was female staff trying to hide that from the girls on the contingent. One went ballistic at our flight sergeant for sharing the news to the extent that he quit in the spot

2 Likes

Wrong. And words.

People like that just make me want to wear my UBACS…

I’ll grab my greatcoat!

2 Likes