Staff First Aid requirements for parade nights and events

Thanks for the info all.

ACTO 008 tells me that heartstart is the minimum requirement for a cfav, and that AFA is the preferred minimum level. It also tells me that there is a list of activities and their first aid requirements in ACP5 proceedure 22. When I go there it explains what a first aider is, and tells me that a risk assessment for a particular activity may require more than one first aider.

I found both documents on SharePoint, using my phone (still “at work”) ACTO 008 (last updated 16-10-2017) and ACP5 (last updated Nov 2017)…years ago I was told “always refer to the copy on SharePoint”… unfortunately now every region and wing seems to need their own copy, and the search function doesn’t always find the ‘official’ item. I can’t oven locate key documents on my mobile, I get a list of apps and sub sites.

So, two possible helps here:

First, do you have 3 little dots in the bottom? You can change the view:

Second, this is how you can find stuff (happy to be shown a simpler way if anyone has it):

Thank you Giminion,

It seems I found the correct ACP5 but the ACTO 008 had one more update: Remove Master Air Cadet from eligibility of Gold course

Can I safely state that the minimum first aid requirement for a cfav is heartstart unless they are running shooting, fieldcraft , AT etc?

I would say yes

the minimum requirement to offer the “minimum” as Staff (ie turning up).

As soon as its anything more interesting (ie off Squadron, be that AT, Shooting*, fieldcraft, PiPEs, Camps) then AFA is preferable or a minimum depending on the individual activity policy

*in this case Shooting is “off Squadron” ignoring those with ranges on site

That requires accepting that the Air Cadets isn’t a full time job for CFAV and people can either run or attend courses at the drop of a hat.
HQAC has not been able to accept that we are not on Air Cadet duty full time for years so don’t expect a change anytime soon.
The problem is like so many courses etc it requires CFAV to run them and unless it’s like some in our Wing, they have a life outside the Air Cadets.

1 Like

The alternative is that they say “You should preferably complete AFA at some point…” which invariably will mean many people don’t bother and we don’t achieve the preferable situation of having properly trained staff.

Far easier to say it is mandatory within a given time period, knowing that most people therefore will endeavour to achieve it, and accept that some won’t be able to within the time scale. One can then be lenient as required.

There have been a number of people stating here that FAAW is superior to AFA. Not being a particularly first aid-keen person this is the first I’ve heard of that.

Can anyone tell me please what further, superior, training is provided in FAAW which is not covered in AFA?

I should say that I’m not trying to pick holes; it’s a genuine question.

I’m more than happy to admit that I’m only repeating what I’ve heard on that front, perfectly happy to be ignored / corrected as appropriate. Whether it’s higher or not I don’t mind, but as long as it’s equal I’m content I’m ‘covered’.

I think the supposition that it’s superior is due to the course being longer?

AFA:

http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/training-courses/courses-for-the-general-public/activity-first-aid.aspx

vs FAAW:

http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/training-courses/courses-for-the-workplace/first-aid-for-the-workplace/first-aid-at-work.aspx

Worth mentioning that this is just SJA. I presume FAAW with another provider may vary?

Thanks for that.

That’s interesting…

Those links would suggest that AFA includes a few sections which are not in FAAW:

• Looking after yourself
  • Emergencies in public
  • Extremes of temperature
  • Fainting, bites and stings, sprains and strains
  • Recognition and treatment for meningitis

But also that FAAW includes the following which are supposedly not covered in AFA:

• Managing an emergency
  • Health and safety (first aid) regulations
  • Low blood sugar
  • Burns and scalds
  • Severe allergic reaction
  • Spinal injuries
  • Eye injuries
  • Defibrillator prompts and how to respond
  • Defibrillator pad placement

“Managing an emergency” could arguably be the same as “emergencies in public” so let’s discount that one.
With the exception of " Health and safety (first aid) regulations" I definitely covered all the other ‘FAAW only’ points on my AFA course.
Leaving aside the two vs three day duration I’d argue therefore that the AFA which our guys are running is actually superior to FAAW since it includes all the FAAW syllabus (H&S regulations excepted) PLUS the additional ‘AFA only’ subjects listed above.

HSE at least have an input if not setting a complete minimum.

It was an HSE directive that added tourniquets, I believe.

The HSE relinquished responsibility for overseeing and regulating FAAW & EFAW a few years ago. The content is now managed by Ofqual and there are a lot of awarding bodies out there that offer both as a Level 3 Award.

As a FAAW trainer, i can say that most - if not all - trainers regard FAAW as being at least equivalent, or superior to, AFA.

As former UFAI(T), a Battlefield First Aid Trainer and now a FAAW trainer of some 20yrs (and a first aid IQA), I personally have no intention of completing AFA during the time i have left in this mans Corps. Those within the organisation who insist that despite holding FAAW, that staff must also do AFA, are both pedantic and misguided.

1 Like

Its not, but it is like comparing apples and oranges. The name is on the tin, AFA is aimed at people doing sports, and FAAW is aimed at people in “high risk” workplaces. AFA is not accepted by employers in place of an FAAW but you can use FAAW in place of AFA.

1 Like

They’d demand it of a qualified paramedic I suspect.

That may be the case, but the fact stands that we were evidently taught the FAAW syllabus plus more on our AFA course.

How many hours/days is AFA?

I hear its 2 days and I’d struggle to see how you’d fit a 3 day course plus additional subjects into 2 days - assuming it is indeed, 2 days.

Depends on the level of pre-knowledge of the students I’d imagine.

FAAW courses would be aimed at people who have 0 first aid knowledge (as would the published AFA syllabus) whereas hopefully RAFAC staff would be both relatively keen and switched on, and likely have some level of pre-existing knowledge and skill.

But then it comes down to quality of training, you cant have more subjects crammed in to less time and get the same level of detail or practice.

But ill stand by my comment that neither are really comparable as they are aimed at different types of activity.

2 Likes

We’ve had that locally.
After a bit of negotiation, common sense did prevail and the paramedic wasn’t required to do a first aid course :roll_eyes:

British Gymnastics actually require the presence of a paramedic team at their competitions.