Staff Exodus

From the CCF perspective, every time I look at that I go ‘WTAF?!’ I remember a similar reaction to seeing the Army cadets list of ‘extra-regimental employment’ or ERE posts a few years back.

But, what proportion are double-hatted?

That’s the reality, in most Wings people will be a frying multiple roles, or will be managing people doing those roles who are ranked lower.

In my Wing the Sector Commanders are the only Squadron Leaders, they have a Sector plus they manage a few of the other jobs. If you are just doing the WSO role you too out as a Flt Lt.

Resurrecting a little, but why aren’t ProjOs sought to tick off various activities under an incredibly small pool of sqn ldrs who sign off on the risk to life stuff like AT and ranges?

Then perhaps sqn ldr could also be granted for very long service, irrespective of role. Shows their experience and means they don’t need to abandon the coal face just to promote?

I need to refresh myself on how the Army Cadets do things, but I’ve noted how the RAF seem to be a bit weird about OF3 promotions too. In the Army, you’re almost certain to get it eventually.

1 Like

Because this is RAFAC and we don’t do common sense here?

Is there a scheme for offering suggestions such as these to the top?

1 Like

There is, through Astra, but I’ve no idea how you actually go about it.

Indeed, the only reason I know that this is possible is because I know someone working on Astra. I’ve not seen any comms on the matter though.

They aren’t really.

With the army “guaranteeing” a promotion to Major, as you say, it doesn’t seem the best system. The Air Force promote on merit to Sqn Ldr. They time serve up to Flt Lt, like the army do to Captain, then above that it’s on merit. Exactly the same as the rankers do to get Cpl.

Slowly but surely, I’m starting to build a picture…

1 Like

VOP could be a route - asking is idea A viable

3 Likes

I’ve noticed when the RNR are in camp there are a lot of lt cdrs: whereas our officers get stuck at flt lt unless they have commanded a sqn.

1 Like

Very true. The RAF are the odd ones out in this regard.

Seems to have become even more prominent in the RAFAC.

While sometimes it works quite well (I understand one or two RCs are incredibly invested), I think it’s a shame that those at the top of this organisation aren’t of this organisation.

Imagine a true volunteer being offered the opportunity to mix up their career with a full-time job running the RAFAC, assuming qualified to do so.

2 Likes

Ultimately, this is why RAuxAF had to recruit an Army 2* to take over as C-G.

1 Like

I don’t need to imagine - I’ve seen it (with another org)& it turns into an utter mess.

It requires a different mindset to run a volunteer organisation than when you are running things as a volunteer.

The volunteer just tries to make the organisation fit how they think it should be run rather than how it needs to be run.

However what could be done is in the job description for regional commandants etc is that you have to have experience of managing volunteers or a volunteer organisation.

If we had an RC who was RAF but also from the scouting world then that would be fab because it would be the same but different.

Pure volunteers in charge? Just going to lead to cronyism ego empires & very narrow non sustainable vision of cadets.

2 Likes

That’s a very good observation (and solution).

Alternatively, making the incumbent also join a local sqn as a member of volunteer staff.

Same for all full-time posts in the org.

2 Likes

Nothing going to change then?

2 Likes

Interesting the sea cadets have this requirement in many of the job descriptions

As part of the initial induction in order to get to know the Sea Cadets, the post holder will be encouraged to assist as a volunteer with evening activities within a local unit (details to be agreed) for a period of one month within the first year of employment.

I think we should have this for all paid Cadet Forces Roles if nothing more than understanding what the organisation aims to deliver.

6 Likes

I think we already have IIRC - I think RC W&W was involved in the scouting world. Can’t remember to what extent though.

1 Like

True but empires & cronyism set up by paid staff lasts a lot shorter time than those perpetuated by volunteers as paid staff tend to be in post 5-8years before leaving where as some volunteers are about for 20+

1 Like

One month is not sufficient for them to get a full appreciation of the organisation. They need to get the experience of delivering parade night stuff and organising and delivering weekend activities / camps. One month, if they have no organisational experience prior, is barely enough to make them a functional member of staff on a parade evening.

3 Likes

I agree with that, for some people though it’s not their thing & it doesn’t matter too much if the account understands how to book camps

However it is a hook to get staff volunteering & “the details to be agreed” may mean longer volunteering.

However as a standard policy for all new staff, I suppose it’s a start….