Staff Engagement

Afternoon,

Ive recently been given the task of staff engagement - as my sqn seems to lack it - well not all, but there’s a select few I’ll just say that!

Now this sort of thing Ive done previously in my day job, which mainly involves getting everyone to join in some sort of team building activity - in the hope that they’ll work together, in all fairness its worked in the past. However, Ive never tried this within staff of the RAFAC.

Theres a massive divide between the staff, and I dont want it having an impact on cadets - Which I’m half tempted to have a discussion with the cadets to get feedback on how theyre feeling about the staff and the interaction with them (Its very little compared to when I was a cadet many moons ago) - but obviously I dont want the cadets feeling like they cant talk to staff due to the divide! - Massive safe guarding issue if the cadets cant come and speak to us.

Back when I was a cadet it was a lot more ‘formal’ and things seem a lot more relaxed these days, I wouldnt exactly say we was scared to go to our exec staff, but we knew we could speak to our CI’s - unfortunately it seems to the CIs that have the issue with one another.

Any advice or experience? Without banging their heads together and telling theyre adults!

I’ll do a longer response later but in short you need to look to see if the situation is retrievable.

If not you need to do a Stalinist purge but make sure you purge the right ones.

3 Likes

Are you the OC who’s been tasked this by a sector OC? Or a staff member tasked by the OC? This really seems like something the OC should have direct involvement with?

Don’t forget this isn’t work. You and those involved are all volunteers. It’s not you as a manger dealing with paid employees. A common mistake in this org is people applying what works within a work environment to cadets, which is voluntary.

If there is no ‘actionable’ conflict, ie one that needs administrative action, then this might be the best choice…

1 Like

What’s your role? I’m assuming not the OC - but the role will help clarify the response

I don’t envy you - I’ve been in a similar situation but I was OC. As others have said will depend on what your role is.

But it’ll be rough before it gets better, and sometimes splitting up the staff team due to personality differences etc is what’s best for the Squadron. (Not saying don’t try things first - there absolutely should be things first)

No, I’m not the OC. I am a CI.

Whilst I’m not complaining one bit about doing this - I just wanted an idea on how to even begin.
I’m all for the challenge of making this a lot better.

I can see its having an impact on the sqn itself, which isnt what I want at all.

Ive got a really good relationship with my OC so obviously if theres huge issues which would be out of my realm then thats something they would look into.

An inter-staff issue between CIs really seems like something that should be dealt with by the OC or the Sqn WO/SNCO (given their ‘decip’ role)

Even when I was Adj as a CI, I wouldn’t really want to be dealing with “a massive divide between the staff”.

We all volunteer for different reasons & sometimes those reasons clash. Often there is an unwillingness to relent or compromise on this belief as the belief held is this is what’s best for the cadets

What you need to see is what is causing the issues e.g.

• over dominant personality
  • unwillingness to change to new ways of working
  • bureaucracy blocking things from progressing or changing
  • personal dislike of each other, particularly if use to be cadets with each other.
  • over bubbling of frustrations due to petty issues that have become too numerous.
  • a toxic element that needs removal

You have a few options to try & resolve this

Ironically RAFAC is probably the worse place to attempt something like this. The volunteers are too attuned to team building & will just go through the motions without attempting any emotional change which is what your objective is. You will then become the enemy & ultimately disposed of.

The change isn’t going to happen overnight so what is needed is simplicity- make it easy for them to volunteer & achieve without frustrations.

Do small stuff well, get the basics lined up & allow things to flow.

Communication is often the blocker so what I would suggest

• have a nightly brief at the start of the night, cover who’s duty, number parading, training plan for night, any admin issues - should last no more than 10minutes

• At the end of the night, have a debrief before final parade, cover a hot debrief of how the night went, any issues, & anything for the next night or final parade. Again no more than 10 minutes. Make sure it is at the same time each night so final is at the same time so everyone leaves at a consistent time.

This will give the structure to the evening it will also allow frustrations to be aired before the end iv the night. This is important as it means that frustrations are not carried across parade nights causing volunteers to stew & build up their frustrations in between parade nights.

Staff meetings once a quarter of every other month, again removes frustrations & key people in. A lot of this comes down to the personality & leadership character of the OC.

You will never be able to make people like each other, just work effectively together

However you may have a Sqn that has balkanised & have various factions develop & people twisting things to the benefit of their own factions.

If you can bring people together & a 360 review may be helpful & useful to drain the poison. You should make an effort to restore & rebuild people up.

Having said that you may well have a toxic element that is preventing things moving forward.

When it reaches this point you need to remove people. When doing this be swift, be bloody, be ruthless. It needs to be like the Red Wedding without the foreshadowing music.

any delay will prevent the execution & things going forward so give no quarter. You then need to hold the line through the rebuild.

A lot of this turns on the CO & if they don’t support or are willing to adapt you’re already dead in the water.

Staff management is the OC & officers of the Sqn to resolve (WOs & SNCOs have no authority over CIs who are out of their per view)

If it’s the Sqn WO who is the toxic element then they need removing first before you can restore any if the internal relationships.

I’m focusing this at the darker end mainly because it’s the most experienced situation but it might be that you don’t have the toxicity to deal with and it’s more about encouraging staff to become more involved.

This is is easier but will take time - again remove the little frustrations & act as an enablers & things will start to flow more.

What is key in understanding why each of the staff volunteers & continued to volunteer because this is what you will need to tap into to move things fwd.

Hope this all helps.

2 Likes

Be very careful with speaking with cadets as to “how they’re feeling about the staff” as that probably would worsen the issue if something was said in that conversation that then got back to an individual. The standard NCO meetings should be best practice for feedback (both directions!) and that should include input for the OC even if he isn’t in attendance. “Feedback” is a very subjective word and it can easily turn into a slagging match. The usual start for me in NCO meetings is asking is everything ok and does anyone want to start, you will get a few comments and I will bring the meeting back on track with the input and focus. Some NCO’s (Cadets) might be annoyed a certain event isn’t taking place and the organiser might be “in the bad books” but the fact might be that the event location gave backword or whatever the case maybe. Be careful on how those are phrased. Chain of Command is important and the OC should really be getting involved in the above in my personal opinion