Staff:Cadet Ratios

Hi all,

What are the staff:cadet ratios at nighttime in hardened accommodation?

I know it’s 1:10 during the day.

I cannot find a reference to this, but I imagine that the vast majority of scenarios that occur routinely aren’t going to come close even to 1:10. I would expect the night-time ratio on a standard cadet camp to be more like 1:30 with other-gender staff on call.

My experience of overnight cover is no matter what the size of the camp, one member of staff on sleeping duty at cadet accommodation and one of other gender on call. Why would you need any more?

Also if it is a waking duty then said member of staff cannot be on duty the day before or the day after. Rest periods and all that and the larger can of worms that is driving hours

The ratio for staff to cadets remains at 1:10, but they don’t all have to be on duty they just have to be in the immediate vicinity.

It’s always worth taking into account that you may need back up staff, it’s all well and good having a duty officer but in a genuine emergency where someone goes off to hospital you still need to have sober staff on camp to take over.

1 Like