Staff Cadet Issues

So I am the oldest at the sqn and being over 18 have done the BASIC course, but at my sqn there is a staff cadet that has been self-harming. Should I go to the CO? The course didn’t cover what to do if these issues came up with other staff cadets. Help would be much appreciated thanks.

Yes, ultimately you should go to your OC.

As an adult there isn’t a lot that you can do through your normal routes, but there will be support if the individual speaks to their doctor.

The could also self refer to mental health support like Mind, Talking Therapies etc dependant on your area.

2 Likes

I’d agree you need to go to the boss. As a former self harmer I can say it does create a bit of a risk having someone not completely in their right mind as a staff cadet (and therefore in position of care). This doesn’t mean they should leave the corps, far from it, but they need to be given the support they need and the OC needs to know to plan supervision of cadets accordingly.

1 Like

A very good question to of asked and much credit to you for doing do. We all have a duty of care not only to our cadets but to each other and I can’t add anything thats not been said other than to say well done for asking the question.

3 Likes

Have you spoken to them as a mate?

Thanks for all the advice! I will have a chat with my CO about it