Staff Ages?

Age doesn’t necessarily equal wisdom…

I know plenty of older officers/CIs who I wouldn’t trust to organise the proverbial in a brewery…

2 Likes

No, but it takes wisdom not to mess up over an extended career…

1 Like

There are plenty of young staff who fit in the same box.

2 Likes

True, but we shouldn’t venerate someone just because they’re old just as much as we shouldn’t celebrate people for being young.

Competence is more important.

4 Likes

I know. Look at some past OC2FTS. He had a very extended career

3 Likes

I respect and am very thankful for the input of the older generations in our organisation, hence my thanks for the service in my post. As spoken about here, the experience that some may hold can prove invaluable to the younger generations of today. And whoever I am talking to over this forum I would consider my equal, as we’re all posters on this website - obviously with a range in ages, which is a good thing.

I would say that the input given by the older members of our organisation is invaluable and should be made the most of, because the experience can be key. There’s obviously different levels of experience and capability, but everyone has something to offer (regardless of age).

Hence enforced retirenent in your 50’s?

Because it’s all about competence.

What?

I haven’t suggested anywhere that someone in their 50s can’t be competent.

And never said you did. I simply highlighted that ATC (like ACF) have an arbitrary rule that once you hit your mid 50s your ability to function in uniform some how changes. The organisation’s attitude to you changes, in a way not based on competence, purely on age.

But you’ll havecseen this yourself.

The ATC dont have this rule any more, unless ive missed a massive change since last time i looked.

I know plenty of uniformed staff in there 60’s and 70’s. None have been restricted in anything they do (other than 1 who refused to do his medical to keep his minibus licence).

1 Like

I think my commission letter said it was valid until my 65th birthday but could be extended thereafter. I get the impression that as long as you are fit enough to serve (which lets face it is a horrendously low bar for RAFAC) then you’ll be extended

2 Likes

I bet he was a rear gunner in the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps during the Boer War :joy:

3 Likes

I think he was involved in Civil Defence in the 60s so…

Unsurprisingly, there is a clear policy on this in our Personnel Regulations (ACP 20)

I’ve extracted relevant bits above, PI303 is a near carbon copy for WOs/SNCOs and PI403 is not issued as no upper age limit for CIs/Chaplins.

Of note is that all flying activity ceases at 65, but can be extended to 70 for Adult staff training only.

I’m not aware of anyone not being extended who wished to stay.

seconded.

we had a Sqn CO who was extended year on year up to 70…
(there is an argument in that case that there was no one to pick up the role of Sqn OC so could have been an extension through necessity!)

The policy exists for those already in uniform, sadly those if us joining after age 65 are limited to a civilian role irregardless of willingness, ability or need of the squadron.