Stable belt loops on No2 trousers

Thanks guys. :wink:

I tend to buy my trousers from Snaiths and they come as standard.

A swift google has come up with two solutions.

1. Buy them ready done. Not awfully cheap but not terrible https://www.uniformstores.co.uk/raf-stable-belt-trousers-no2-mans-working-dress-brand-new-7476-p.asp

2. Quick DIY project https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAF-LOOPS-for-Trousers-To-Enable-Wearing-Of-Stable-Belt-DIY/223926553832?ul_ref=https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?ff3=2&pub=5575376664&toolid=10001&campid=5338268676&customid=EAIaIQobChMI9N-jzt3v5wIVTbTtCh2eBwdvEAQYAyABEgInbPD_BwE&lgeo=1&item=223926553832&srcrot=710-53481-19255-0&rvr_id=2313627574261&rvr_ts=8287f1711700aaeec4b42e2fffd40a8c&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1&ul_noapp=true&pageci=66a55375-6b91-4ad9-98f9-e5c971ef8e81

I shouldn’t imagine that doing it yourself is awfully difficult, especially for just £5.

1 Like

Nice one @A400m. A mate of mine did his own he tells me. Made the loops from an old U/S pair of trousers. Might give that a go…

Also, the photos on that £42 pair of trousers confirms it is 4 loops and where to put them!

1 Like

I am one of those cadets who’d be interested in this, I love the look of the stable belt but it just slides up my hips.

1 Like

I have ordered the set of loops for a fiver from eBay. I’ll report back once I’ve done my DIY.

2 Likes

Just loosen it a little.

1 Like

Nice one. Look forward to seeing how it goes.

There is a persuasive argument that if CAS wears them, then they MUST be acceptable (and he has been pictured wearing them even at VRT/RAFAC graduation parades)

They fixed the colour with the ‘NC’ pattern, but the issue trouser material is far FAR too flimsy. Therefore:

I’m trying a cunning plan, whereby I’m going to retrofit interlining, fully, onto the inside of a pair of No2 trousers, to see if the horrific thigh-wrinkle/unsharp front-&-rear crease issues can be solved (ie uprate the weight of the material).

I’ve proven (the hard way) that using heavyweight iron-on interlining is far too…unyielding. Medium-weight lining has now been ordered, and I shall report back on the results.

Have you ever retailored a pair of No1 dress trousers into being No2s? Now that we’ve killed-off the horrid slate-grey ‘state penitentiary slacks’, and regained No2 dress trousers that are properly RAF blue, there’s less point in doing this nowadays…maybe (I’ve seen even SWOs wearing downcycled No1 trousers with added belt-loops, since they DO take a decent pressed-in crease that lasts beyond 0900hrs on Monday)

Surely they should just be exactly the same width as the (removed) waist-tabs, which could well be that exact size you specify?

Woa, there needs to be some renav applied here.

People who are wearing No2 dress trousers with >buttoned< belt-loops should only be doing so with the original full-width strap&buckle-over-left-hip stable-belts, NOT the current chrome front-buckle pattern. They should just have larger/wider stitched belt-loops.

This then follows the established traditions set by military tailors to the RM/Army, and mirrors classic bottle-green barracks-dress trousers (if you doubt the logic in this argument, check your MTP trousers…yes, stitched belt-loops, of course. Yet: if you look at a pair of pre-Y2K classic DPM or OG trousers…well well, buttoned belt-loops)

1 Like

Well I don’t think I recall seeing anyone with buttons on current style No 2 trousers.

I definitely have.

1 Like

Likewise. For a while there, when they were talking about actually releasing an approved style for add-on stable belt loops, I had a nasty feeling that the pattern was going to include buttons. They seem to be pretty common amongst the senior crowd - but look bloody stupid.

No, though I did consider adding belt loops to my old No 1 trousers, as and when I get a new set, and keeping them for drill. In the winter it’s easy - with a jersey on it doesn’t matter.

Cheap and easy workaround we use for cadets is safety pinning the stable belt at two points at the rear of the trousers: helps a lot.

Umm, I understand what the intention is, and how this pinning would work, but…isn’t it a slightly-risky solution? I’m not a paranoid person, but…aren’t these very-nearly unsafety pins in this mode ? :-/

An alternative technique I’ve seen successfully used (to ensure that stable belts don’t ride-up, and that trousers don’t fall down, esp when they’re minus that ‘prohibited’ canvas belt) is to loop a few elastic bands around each of the existing belt-loops on the No2 trousers.

These are wrapped in on themselves a few times, and pulled tight so they don’t dangle, and the stable-belt just gets worn on top as usual, covering the squashed elastic bands.

But now the stable-belt >stays put< and actually helps keep your trousers up, because you’ve created harmless friction-points behind that large slippery belt…which suddenly just stopped being merely a decorative piece of bling and started earning its keep!!

If this makes no sense, re-read it, and then give it a try. Or pictures will be uploaded if necessary…

(ps this trick’s been used in the Regt for years, we also used it in the ROC for both RAF and Corps stable-belts…)

Depends if you want a lumbar puncture and don’t want to go on a waiting list…

Yes, exactly like that.
Presumably then the reason that the higher ups are going for that style is that it is what was done when they were younger.

Not a fan…

Update. Forgot to post this the other day.

Belt loops from eBay arrived promptly. I stitched them into the waistband and bar tacked them for strength and they work a treat. I would highly recommend.

Only one issue, I had them on for about 20 minutes before a WO started to have a go. Politely pointed him in the direction I wanted him to go. They are definitely worth the fiver and the 20 minutes effort though, works a treat.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update - probably going to give this a shot too! Bye Snaiths…

what was the WOs reaction?

“oh…sorry A400m, completely understand. thank you for reminding me, i should have realised”???