Squadron Uniformity

This winds me up no end, the number of people that fail to understand this, and insist on faffing with uniform for final parade that will last 5 minutes when we all want to go home.

If your hot wear shirt sleeves.
If your cold wear a jumper.

So long as it is worn correctly and the mode your wearing it is in the book what is the issue?

I’m expecting a range of views on this, is it acceptable for some cadets to be in shirt sleeves and others in jumpers, for all or part of a parade evening or activity?

I couldn’t give a toss either way. The only thing i expect is if someone says greens, blues or shirt/tie’s that people dress in that mode for that group (or all if required). If someone wants to wear a smock, go ahead. Jersey likewise. If it’s a formal parade (such as the Mayor coming down or other important event) then it will be stipulated - but daily wear, nah.

I’m entirely with you on this one.

On a typical squadron evening we may have some cadets or staff in greens and some in blues because the activities being run (classes with shooting on the side, for example) demand that. Those in blue may well be sitting in a warm classroom while others could be doing drill in the car park. Some like me can suffer a bit of cold and will be in 2B while others will be more comfortable with a jersey on. It is sensible to follow the RAF’s lead and allow personal choice in how they wear their uniform within the freedoms laid out in the order of dress.

Squadron first and final parades are not ceremonial parades, though some units may treat them as such, falling in supernumeraries, staff taking over in stages etc. Mostly all that achieves is taking up time that can be better spent. Just form up in whatever uniform you are wearing, get the announcements done and crack on.

ATF are somewhat to blame with reinforcing the idea that uniformity is somehow always required: their JIs say “uniform means uniformity…” (which it doesn’t really) . I can forgive them a little as their courses are somewhat analogous to a week at a phase 1 training establishment where military BS is key (and they need to check standards), but back on the squadron we are in a working environment and that sort of restrictive thinking is simply unnecessary and unhelpful.

Incidentally, when I issue letters or admin orders for more formal activities where uniformity of dress is actually desirable I always make sure the uniform requirements are fully detailed for cadets and staff alike.

1 Like

First thing I changed when I took command! We have at least 1 formal inspection per month and for that I expect uniformity. (It comes with doing the parade properly the works as a refresher for everyone including me). Aside from that wear what you need for the activity you are doing and wear it in a manner that you find comfortable. (Within the rules).

We raised eyebrows at the Wing Conference when my Squadron staff turned up in short sleeved shirts.

You have a crazy wing. Our wing conference is always simply No2 dress, with no restrictions on which form.

I get annoyed when I see JIs what specify 2(full) when I know fine well that the event just involves mooching around indoors chatting about stuff and could realistically be done in civvies with no detriment to the activity.

It wasn’t specified, they just all assumed they had to dress the same. Until we turned up and then loads followed us!

What winds me up on my unit is that the cadets wear what they feel comfortable in, but don’t bring the outer layers with them just in case they need them!. i.e. they turn up in No3 without jackets, even when the activity involves going outside all night!

I think you will find that’s a standard cadet thing

…especially when on an outdoor range in winter! :wink:

All the staff bundled up with numerous layers, thermos flasks, etc; Cadet Bloggs wearing one pair of socks, trousers (no thermals underneath), T shirt + the appropriate “green” shirt. Guess what, shivering affects your grouping! :wink:

2 Likes

Hi all,

I don’t add much here but I wanted to chime in with my opinion.

At our/my squadron we make the mode of uniform for the night known, after that it is up to everyone how they turn up. For example tonight it was 2c for cadets, I turned up in 2( Full) because It was cold and I wanted to wear a jumper (which means a tie for me!) I got onto first para and my Sergeant was in 2c with her selves rolled up while the rest of the squadron had jumpers on. My only comment was to ask said Sergeant if she wasn’t cold (welfare and all that good stuff) She said no and everything carried on smoothly.

I teach all my cadets on how to wear their uniform as part of first class and on a day to day basis I couldn’t care less. the exception being formal parades. I.E big public events ect or when its absolutely baltic outside and we plan to spend the entire night outside, in which case then lots of warm clothing (of any kind going!) are the orders of the day.

If you turn up to my squadron on any given night expect to see cadets in A form of no2 uniform, probably me in 2B, another member of staff in 2A and a bunch of C.I.'s in various states of civilian dress (including work uniforms) As long as the “work” gets done shy should it matter?