Squadron Sponsorship

Way back when a commercial organisation could pretty much sponsor a squadron in exchange for certain privileges, such as their logo on the squadron’s sports kit.

I know many of the rules have been changed in the interim, and I believe the above is no longer possible, but has anyone had any recent success with “sponsorship” opportunities?

Not sure I’d get away with offering naming rights, but I would like to see what else is being done out there to keep squadrons afloat.

Not a sponsorship exactly but local Freemason lodges do sometimes give charitable donations to local Squadrons. However I doubt this is with any strings attached.

I’ve certainly seen photos on Instagram of things like minibuses with a company logo on, along with the RAFAC logo, where a company has donated a large proportion of the purchasing cost.

Used to get free servicing but had a serviced by insert garage name sticker on the backdoor

although i have seen company logos on SOVs indicating money was donated to pay for the bus, or even on Sqn t-shirts, kindly provided by X-local company i have never known any “strings” attached other than acknowledgement of the donation.

as for the Freemasons, yes they do donate money but do not expect to be publicly acknowledged happier to be a silent donation

I’m quite comfortable with working with the donating orgs (Masons, Round Table, Lions, Rotary etc) as I’ve worked with them quite a bit previously and know that what they ask for can quite easily be accommodated.

This ask is much more focussing on the commercial elements. For context, my squadron is in a significantly impoverished area. The better off cadets typically attend the grammar school, which has a CCF. This means the ATC squadron typically works with the poorer members of the local society who often can’t afford the basics of cadets membership, such as private purchase items.

I’d like to reach out to a commercial entity to cover the costs of these items for our cadets, but I’m trying to work out what can be offered in return.

1 Like

A bit of a tax deduction and make their CEO feel like they’re helping their community? If it’s a good donation get the local press involved? “Local outdoor shop donates new waterproofs to local Air Cadets”. That sort of thing? I’d see no issue with doing that anyway.

Have you also looked at local council funding? Parish/Town councils will normally give out grants once a year to local charities. Also your District/County council may have schemes too!

1 Like

That’s a good call - I forgot about the Councillors’ Discretionary Funds!

other than a badge on the bus, or mention on the sqn tshirt this is about it that i know of.

as indicated there maybe tax benefits to them donating to charity but what else are you expecting to “give us” to offer to such offers?

(i suppose if they were big enough you might help with a company event, i do recall many years ago seeing the Cadets help out at their local F1 team “family day” - I am not sure if this was because of sponsorship and may have been a one off payment but perhaps that kind of thing could be considered?)

When my lodge gave money to cadet units it was always no strings attached.

The only time I’ve seen “strings” in any donation is the inclusion of the square and compasses on the side of the London Air Ambulance and on some of the LFB Fire Engines that Metropolitan Grand Lodge donated.

I think if you can it’s still a great thing, it’s part of the F60 on whether you’ve recieved any.

Donations are more common now a days but occasionally like we’ve got some bits coming up where they are “sponsoring” an item and just want their logo on it.

I believe the only advice in the ACp about it is making sure it’s an organisation you want association with - I.e. you wouldn’t want a vaping company logo on your minibus

If you wanted to encourage a strong link with a local school, could you do some sort of “twinning” which may also involve a minor boost of funding from said institution?

1 Like

Go for it. My sqn is in a less well off area. We get lots of grants etc from the council and other big employers nearby under their corporate social responsibility initiatives. I did ask WHQ recently about corporate sponsorship but WExO didnt have a clue what the regulations were. Forgiveness is easier then permission

3 Likes