Sqn training programme

A little advice would be really helpful :?

I have Recently taken over as training officer Just wondered if anyone had any hints and tips to make the training program really good for the cadets on a Squadron I want to produce a good active programme so they don’t end up doing the same things over and over.

Any advice would be great. :slight_smile:

in the last 6 months i have also done the same, and as ideal as it would be to have a varied program most of the “standard” nights fill up a month nicely.

COs inspection/Parade/Padre
Project nights
NCO Nights
Classification lessons
DofE
Drill
Sports (although only in the summer months)
that is at least 50% of the month covered, more so if you have double lessons in a month.

the biggest factor i had was the availabilty of staff, some only able to do one night a week, others miss one night a week due to clashing commitments while others have unpredictable attendance due to where there work takes them that week!

look at the flexibility of the program Vs the staff who can conduct each section, include the SNCOs as and per possible and you’ll get the ball rolling…

that leave 2-3 nights to concentrate on a “interesting” program.
guest speakers, or specific subject quizes like Air Rec

[quote=“rh90” post=5319]A little advice would be really helpful :?

I have Recently taken over as training officer Just wondered if anyone had any hints and tips to make the training program really good for the cadets on a Squadron I want to produce a good active programme so they don’t end up doing the same things over and over.

Any advice would be great. :)[/quote]

You’re not my Trg Off are you?? :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

If you PM me an email address I will send you a copy of ours so you can use it for ideas if you like?

I found that searching for other unit’s trg progs helped give variation, and gave me some neat ideas that I hadn’t thought of.

Use what resources you can. Try and get staff to commit to things, like running a project through the summer which gives cadets variety and gets them out and about. Include things like Night Exercises (if possible), Do some basic radio training, an Air recce night, an AT night, DofE planning time, Drill nights, Leadership challenges, Lectures, first aid training nights. Get in visiting lecturers such as a section from an RAF station, local police firearms units, pilots, friends of the squadron, people from the squadron that have joined the regulars and now have a real job.

You can also give the cadets a task to come up with some ideas - that way, if they suggest it and don’t like it you can go back to them and explain!

You what, your x staff don’t all attend every single night because they have jobs and other things to do … sssssshhhh don’t let HQAC know.

1 Like

Apologies for the bump but didn’t want to create a new topic.

Does anyone have any example first class programmes I could have a look at to take some ideas from? We have an intake soon and I want help my training officer to create an effective, interesting programme.

I’ll see what I can dig up but meanwhile try the following:

• airmanship - visit a local aerodrome or aviation museum (we also use our flight sims)
  • nav - do a nav day
  • radio - loads of good exercises in ACP44 and if you can get them outside now the days are longer so much the better
  • IET - compete in teams to pack a rucksack. Then a Masterchef of tea making on Trangias
    So as little PowerPoint as you can…
1 Like

Thanks, much appreciated. I think at the minute we’re mainly struggling with keeping it interesting through both interesting activities and keeping a good variety.