Sqn Banners

Hi Everyone

I am Treasurer at Civ Comm 47f, and after having made a flag for the squadron I have been asked to help out with other sewing requirements. The problem I have is that whilst I was making the flag I could not find any artwork for the squadron, which made it very difficult. I now need to make a smaller logo icon and wonder if anyone could help me to find how to digitise a logo so I can convert it to an embroidery file for my machine to stitch out the logo?

If I can get a clear jpeg then I can convert with the software I have for my machine but I cannot find clear jpegs for logos. Very stuck please help.

Which logo are you after?

There are two, one is Westbury-on-Trym 2442 and the other is Goole 2357. I would be very grateful for any help on this.

Thought I should send a picture of the banner I made for 47f. It was blessed at the last End of Year Review.

Thanks for that.

I feel I need to make you aware of the following regulation:

[quote=“ACP20, P108, Annex C”]INTRODUCTION

1. A number of Wings and Squadrons have acquired Banners either by purchase with non-public funds or presentation by local Civil authorities, local branches of the Royal Air Forces Association or other organisations. Banners establish identity, enhance public relations and foster esprit de corps and are encouraged. However, because they have not been obtained through long and outstanding service or distinction in battle, and not bestowed by the Sovereign they will not merit the dignities of religious or other ceremonial normally accorded to Queen’s Colours, RAF Squadron Standards or the ATC Banner. Moreover, because they will be paraded in public it is essential that they are of an acceptable design, clean, not worn and do not in any way bring discredit on the Corps. Hence the following rules are to be strictly observed:

RULES FOR USE OF WING OR SQUADRON BANNERS
DESIGN

1. Existing banners may continue to be used until they wear out but all new or replacement banners are to:
    [ol=a]
    [li]Be of RAF blue heavy silk or artificial silk.[/li]
    [li]Be not larger than 2’ 6” on the pike and 3’ 6” in breadth.[/li]
    [li]Bear the ATC badge in a central position with any local authority badge, RAFA badge or device, in a corner position. No other badge or device is to be included in the design. The squadron name and number or the wing name may be included in the design above or below the ATC badge.[/li]
    [li]Be carried on a pike not exceeding 7’ in length.[/li]
    [/ol]
[/quote]

Oh dear. Is it possible for you to send give me sight of one that we should be using to avoid confusion in the future. At present many squadrons have a personal bit of artwork in the centre of the ATC badge, is that permissible or should it be the eagle?

Really appreciate this clarification, it also helps me understand the lack of artwork available.

This is really something that HQ should be providing examples of (and far more details of) but haven’t. The only official images I’ve seen in manuals are of the ACO banner itself. It is something I hope to get them to provide more detail to.

Googling for images of “ATC Banner” should show a range of banners, though of course it will show a load of other things too… This one from Newton Newton is probably a typical example of the breed but there will be variance on the shape of the scrolls etc.

I have seen various colours and various types of material and to be honest I really couldn’t tell you which were on RAF Blue Heavy Silk and which weren’t. They’ve all been much lighter than yours though.

Thank you incubus, it is much appreciated. I have had a trawl around and there are various tones so at least I know that I can get away without having to deal with pantone numbers, it is difficult enough trying to get the right silk weights and finish on fabrics without the nightmare of tones.

The current flag can stay for the squadron but I have made them aware of the detail from you. I am surprised at the state of some of the banners I have seen thus far but I appreciate how difficult it is for squadrons to afford the prices, so when they are given a banner it is such a bonus. I guess that is why they are so varied.

I’ve changed the thread title to be more accurate to the thread. That might help people find it.

Thanks pEp.

Just a quick question. Is it permissible to have logo with Squadron name on top and “RAF ATC” underneath within the red circle?

Which logo? and you wouldn’t want RAF ATC, that means nothing really. As per Incubus’ quote above, you can have Sqn or Wing name on the banner, that’s it.

I think that when the people we parade with have what I regard as normal sized standards, these look like a ladies handkerchief in relation and IMO slightly embarrassing. But it’s what we’re stuck with.

Do you normally parade with people wielding tablecloths?

If you want ridiculous, the ACF’s national standard is about 2’x2’ and really does look like a hankie on a broomstick.

1 Like

It just that the squadron’s new one brought about 10 years ago, is smaller than the old one and on a shorter pike and looks out of place, just a personal perspective.
I don’t know if they think cadets can’t carry a larger one, but I regularly have cadets carrying ex-service association standards at parades with no problems at all.
I imagine there is some infitessimally small print somewhere stating the size etc.

ACP20, P108, Annex C, as Incy mentioned earlier.

[quote=“incubus” post=20907]Do you normally parade with people wielding tablecloths?

If you want ridiculous, the ACF’s national standard is about 2’x2’ and really does look like a hankie on a broomstick.[/quote]

It is small but quite nice. I think the next one will be much larger though as the new official size for ACF banners is 42" x 36" (3’6" x 3’) which is a better shape I think. Unfortunately ours aren’t that size but that is a grumble for another day!

ACP20, P108, Annex C, as Incy mentioned earlier.[/quote]
I mean something smaller that decrees as cadets are smaller they aren’t physically able to carry a decent sized standard on a decent pike.

Hi everyone, I have, over the last few years been making banners for the ATC and a few other organisations and clubs. I realise that regulations have changed. Just for your information please take a look at Facebook: Redirecting...
The largest one is below:

Take a look at the page and if you need information, or have questions I am happy to help.

2 Likes

Unless it has been replaced recently, those measurements are incorrect. 42 x 36 is the official size of ACF banners, but the actual ACF banner is smaller. Don’t believe everything you read. :slight_smile: