Sports Now Open for All

Hooray, at last the organisation has moved in to the 20th Century and removed the gender restrictions on sports!

IBN on Sharepoint has more details. Well done anyone who fought for this.

7 Likes

This is great. Saw it asked on VoV at the end of July. Glad the questions were asked and something done!

1 Like

Although, reading through that IBN, theres a whole load of vagueness . . .

While the gender restrictions have been lifted, it seems to suggest every region might be running things differently with no cohesive plan or competition.

2 Likes

So, exactly as they run everything else then? :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

lol true

It also seems the Corps representation could be a thing of the past which is a shame.

1 Like

Reading it, the IBN seems quite sensible in that basically RAFAC will not regulate further than National Governing Bodies regulations it’s up to regions to decide how sports can be delivered if people want it & basically they’re not funding anything above inter-wing level.

In short it seems they are washing their hands of sport from a HQ level & let it be sorted locally.

2 Likes

Solid IBN

1 Like

I have one issue with that IBN; Does the person who wrote it know what the word “inter” means or don’t they?

They tell us that the top two tiers of sport are to cease - “Corps” and “inter-regional”.
I have always understood “Corps” level to be ‘the winning teams from the 6 Regions competing against each other’. i.e. they’re competing to be the best team in the Corps.
Well… that IS “inter-Region”.

So do they have a completely different definition of ‘Corps level’; or do they just not understand the word “inter” and they actually mean that Region level (i.e. Wings competing against Wings) sport is gone and thus only Wing level (Sqn against Sqn) remains (to be controlled by the Regions as the DDH)?

I’m inclined to think it’s the latter case. They’ve used “inter” when they mean “intra”.

Inter- Wings remains. Inter-Region has gone.

Corps level, I believe is those selected at Inter-Region level, to be part of the Corps team. E.g. girls hockey a few years ago, they played the Corps team against another team made of ex Corps members.

That’s entirely possible. Although, it’s odd in that case that they make no mention of inter-Sqn (what used to be called “Wing Sports”) at all in the document.

It’s much simpler in drill… Sqns compete against each other at a “Wing Competition”; Wings compete at a “Region Competition”; and then the winners there compete at the “Corps Competition”.
#BeMoreDrill

1 Like

Yes, each Region had to create their own sport calendar which had to be signed off by Corps.

But only 20% differences were allowed from the 7 Corps sports. So the calendars are not massively different.

I’d like it to #BeMoreDrill :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

With sports teams I would expect them to compete against other cadet forces (not old boys association) in the same way the Corps shooting team competes against ACF & SCC

I think it would be cool for more inter service competitions along that line so we have the cadet version of Army Navy sports matches even if it was say Central & East vs Eastern Area vs ACF equivalent

2 Likes

So would I. But then, I’d keep the names of the tiers the same as every other competition in the organization. :confused: Hence my confusion.

Fortunately, it’s fairly academic for me because I couldn’t give a toss about sport and I leave it all to those who care. :smiley:

2 Likes

I know this feeling

Would you give a toss if it was Highland Sports?

Air Cadets “throwing the caber competition “ might be quiet fun. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well, I’d probably go along to see that.

1 Like

Make a change from them throwing their teddies! :wink:

(this also applies to CFAVs!)

2 Likes

great news