Speaking on parade

We did this previously back when I was a cadet, since then I’ve allowed it to be phased out on the unit and stick at ease/easy, because you end up with cadets doing the cha cha slide and conversations take twice as long or multiple/all come to attention/ease on slightly different timings.

Ironically, I find sticking with ease is “less messy” (as opposed to “smarter”)

2 Likes

I do that with the whole clapping malarky…just stay at ease

2 Likes

Yes, that too.

I wish everyone would shut up on parade so that we can get down the pub at the end of the night :joy:

4 Likes

^ so much this.

“Cpl Bloggs, Cdt Smith, please talk to me after” (so I can brief you on X, Y and Z).

2 Likes

Or “please read Cadet Portal” dismissed.

1 Like

At which point…

Sir, Sir can you reset my password it’s not working? Me nam won’t let me use it. I know you only showed me last week but I don’t know how to use it.

1 Like

But not in uniform :eyes:🫣

Nope do it yourself.

Your mum’s an eejit and I’m not spoon feeding you, your a young adult.

Well then your an eejit, ask a Cadet NCO!

Gillet for the win!

5 Likes

But that was the official line in that drill video from years ago. They showed the correct way to fall out for a prize, then everyone applauded, and big words flashes up saying ‘Applaud at ease’.
Which I thought great, as I hated the machine gun sound of coming to attention of applauding at shun.

1 Like

Never seen that video…

It was pretty useful at the time for trying to standardise some things.just suffered from poor distribution.

1 Like

#Understatement as I never saw it either :grimacing:

3 Likes

It was a good idea, but it featured all sorts of errors and fads.
Weird ‘punch the guy next to you’ right dress and a cracking ‘right foot 30" behind’ “dress pace” were two of the corkers.

2 Likes

Almost as good as my old places “hand up” they did to ask questions on parade…
Slight 45° angle outstretched arm…
Could almost be mistaken for another youth organisation.

2 Likes

I need to see this video…

1 Like

It means it’s not a situation they’ve catered for, so you have a suitable local solution.

It’s in the same vein as doing final parades on a Sqn. Very few - if any - would follow the parade format detailed in 818, because of space, numbers etc. So we all come up with our own local version, that works for us based on the guidance provided. As long as you follow the intent, it’s fine.

But as @AlexCorbin said - to reduce agro, if the WWO has a particular way they want it doing go with that. You have to pick your battles in life, and I wouldn’t say this one is worth an argument.

1 Like

As I am a cadet I was told that you can’t move and fidget on parade and you can only talk at attention if called on

The closet that AP818 comes is detailing how to answer a roll call.

The NCO IC is then to call the roll. In response, personnel are to come momentarily
to Attention and answer only by calling out the NCO’s rank in acknowledgement. Similarly,
if a nominal roll is called by an officer or warrant officer, or if either are present, individuals
are to answer: “Sir/Ma’am”.

…and in stating that personnel are to stand to attention when addressing or being addressed by a superior.

It’s not a great stretch to decide that on a muster ‘parade’, personnel come to attention before speaking.

2 Likes