SpaceX launching Starship/Superheavy

That went well.

1 Like

RUD :smiley:

They got it off the ground, I have no doubt that the data gained will see them right for the next try

1 Like

That was incredible all things considered. The fact they didnā€™t blow the whole site up is success in itā€™s own right :smiley:

Hereā€™s to the next one, probably relatively soon!

4 Likes

Obviously someone came into the office asking me questions, last time I looked it was going well, then next time it was in bits, why does work get in the way at a critical point ? Hope they got all they needed from it ready to try again.

So Tim (EverydayAstronaut) is 5 miles away and they are just now getting covered in sand from the take off! The cloud that was kicked off is insane!

1 Like

I believe they got through Max Q before the RUD so that is an achievement too - next time hopefully they make orbit (and you donā€™t get rudely interupted by work :joy:)

2 Likes

That was amazing to watch, done a-lot better than they expected it seemed. Theyā€™d have been happy with it just clearing the tower then going boom :joy:

seems like it might have been a manual abort once they realised the spin was unrecoverable instead of the rocket just going boom

Yeah, the flight termination system exists exactly for this! Iā€™m most amazed that it managed to spin multiple times without breaking apart and blowing up.

1 Like

As if the flight test was not exciting enough, Starship experienced a rapid unscheduled disassembly before stage separation

ā€” SpaceX (@SpaceX) April 20, 2023

True Story.

Just like the comms around many RAFAC activities :roll_eyes:

1 Like

No lives ar risk, so they let it spin for a bit for data gathering.
The spacecraft in flight terminatiom program was armed throughout against certain parameters, but once sep didnt happen they disarmed the paramenter for spin temporarily.

I was like a school kid watching that go, for the first timeā€¦ will i get to watch man walk on the moon again?

1 Like

Again? We never went before according to my Stepmother.

1 Like

Surely youre not old enough to have seen it last in 1972?..

I think as a humanity we are heading to the moon again. And Tornado is hoping to watch that. Rather than him watching it for a second time :rofl:

ICYMI

Today was meant to be the launch of Space Xā€™s Starshipā€¦

Today was also the day (in the US at least), that Picard and crew were potentially mothballing THEIR starshipā€¦

Yes. Im only 40ā€¦

As humanity, looking beyond the stars.

Its amazing what can be achieved if we put aside our squabbles.

1 Like

Although the squabbles did help. WW2 accelerated rocketry development and the Cold War certainly didnā€™t hurt the space race

2 Likes

Weā€™d be in a bit of trouble of the moon was beyond any stars :rofl:

:rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

Is that like a dialed down version of ā€˜the troublesā€™

2 Likes