SpaceX launching Starship/Superheavy

So today is a day those of us following SpaceX have been waiting for! SpaceX are finally test launching Starship!

The launch window for today opens in approx 4 hours from this post (1400hrs) and is open for a couple of hours.

UPDATE: Launch now expected at 1420hrs. Confirmed by SpaceX.

Launch now expected on the 20th of April at 1428hrs.

Even if the launch is a complete failure, or if it goes really well, this will be spectacular either way.

Lots of information here.

The official SpaceX stream will be here and starts at about 1315 ish.

NASASpaceFlight (NSF) are already streaming to build the hype and that can be found here. NSF are great. A bunch of super keen people talking about Space stuff. They also have another stream with no talking, just multiple cameras here.

The stream I’ll personally be watching will be Everyday Astronaut here. He’s one of my top space Youtubers.

7 Likes

NASAs WB-57 has just taken off from Houston to head over to the site!

https://planefinder.net/flight/ACD958

Prop loading has begun now! And SpaceX has confirmed they’re now aiming for a 1420hrs take off!

Its Happening The Office GIF by NBC

1 Like

Currently watching EveryDayAstronauts coverage - top dude

1 Like

SpaceX are now live.

18 minuets to go! Can you tell I’m a bit excited?! :grin: :grin:

2 Likes

Also as a reminder for those who don’t really follow this, but are watching this launch; There is a very good chance this blows up shortly after launch… And that’s sort of expected and okay! So if it blows up, don’t consider it a fail as such :smiley:

But if it does fly all the way around for the full 90 minuets, that would just be incredible.

2 Likes

A Unplanned Rapid Disassembly is always as good an outcome as a successful launch :smiley:

I am excited to see what happens at Max Q, Stage Seperation and Re-entry… if we make it that far :grin:

Latest update was a fuel valve was frozen open, which would be a scrub. We wait and see!

1 Like

Just heard some issues are causing it to go from a Launch to a Wet dress. So half scrub basically.

1 Like

Yep, seems like today will just be a dress rehearsal! If it is only the one issue though, you never know! :smiley:

If it is scrubbed (as it looks like…) then I believe we are open for launch tomorrow and Wednesday if required?

Yep, there a couple of extra windows this week

1 Like

Well. Scrub it is. See you all in a couple of days! They said at least 48h, so not tomorrow :frowning:

48 hours min needed to recycle the fuel systems.
First launch window wont be until late wed GMT.

Most likely looking at a Thursday launch attempt.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if they wait until the 20th of April at this point just because it’s become such a meme!

Timeline is a bit off now, but gives a good idea as to what SpaceX and the Starship is going to do… or be capable of.

SpaceX is targeting as soon as Thursday, April 20 for the first flight test of a fully integrated Starship and Super Heavy rocket from Starbase in Texas. The 62 minute launch window opens at 8:28 a.m. CT and closes at 9:30 a.m. CT

Called it…

Did ye… did ye really… :joy::rofl:

Looks like they’re starting to clear the area down, and the TFR is in place, so hopefully another attempt for a launch tomorrow! T-16 hours ish!

1 Like

So just over two hours to go for today’s attempt!

NSF are already streaming (possibly still streaming from last night? :open_mouth: )

EverydayAstronaut is due to start his stream very soon!

SpaceX’s stream is scheduled to start at 1345:

Fingers crossed for no stuck valves today. Weather is looking okay but not ideal.

1 Like

WB-57 is up, looks like two maybe?
Unsure if two aircraft or one with two transponders. I think the latter as they normally only have one!

1 Like